Print-friendly version of this page
The Claigmar Vineyard produced Middlesex grapes - and maybe wine.
Remembered in a few local street names such as Vines Avenue
, but otherwise long buried under suburbia, the Claigmar Vineyards was begun by the Kay family in 1874.
In 1845, Kay leased an acre in Ballards Lane
for flowers and fruit. In 1878 it was owned by Peter and Susan Kay and a second nursery, called Claigmar, had been started in 1874 in Long Lane
by Peter Edmund Kay.
During the 1890s the Ballards Lane
nursery closed and Claigmar was extended until in 1899 Kay had 18½ acres.
Equally large nurseries were opened east of Squires Lane
until at their greatest extent the Kay nurseries, between Long Lane
and the High Barnet
railway line, stretched from Duke Street eastward to Green Lane
It not only produced 100 tons of grapes per year but also a quarter of a million cucumbers. Peak production was in the 1890s with 161 greenhouses involved.
The site continued as glasshouses into the 1920s before it was finally built over.
Claigmar Vineyard, Finchley, 1921.
Britain From Above/Historic England
Cobley’s Farm Cobley’s Farm, also known as Fallow Farm, stood near to the "elbow" of Bow Lane. Long Lane Pasture Long Lane Pasture is a meadow hidden away in the heart of North London’s suburbs. Victoria Park One of many Victoria Parks in London, much of this park was originally part of Colby’s Farm. Abingdon Road, N3 Abingdon Road runs north east from Long Lane, roughly parallel with the North Circular Road. Avondale Road, N3 Avondale Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Clifton Road, N3 Clifton Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Etchingham Park Road, N3 Part of the old Etchingham estate in Finchley was leased to Frederick Wheeler who built substantial brick houses in Etchingham Park Road. Font Hills, N2 Font Hills is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Park Avenue, N3 Park Avenue is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Queens Avenue, N3 Queens Avenue is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Queens Road, N3 Queens Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Squires Lane, N3 Squires Lane - formerly Squires Place - runs across Finchley.
. St Pauls Way, N3 St Pauls Way is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Station Road, N3 Station Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Vines Avenue, N3 Vines Avenue was built over an orchard belonging to the nineteenth century Claigmar Vineyard. Willow Way, N3 Willow Way is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Finchley Central is a tube station which covers the central part of Finchley - an area formerly called Church End.
Finchley formed an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex, becoming a municipal borough in 1933, and has been part of Greater London since 1965.
The main road runs on a north-south axis, and is called Regents Park Road from the North Circular Road until it reaches the station, where the name changes to Ballards Lane. Its heart is the ancient district around the St Mary’s Church, where the imposing tower of Pardes House (formally Christ’s College Finchley), is a landmark. There is a public library, Church End Library and Finchley police station. Along Ballards Lane, close to the station, is a retail district with some Victorian and Edwardian shoping parade as well as modern shops including Tesco.
To the southeast, along East End Road are two institutions of note Avenue House home to the Finchley Society, and a Jewish cultural centre the Sternberg Centre. South, along Regents Park Road is College Farm the last farm in Finchley, and a statue, referred to locally as ’The Naked Lady’, but more properly called La Delivrance. Victoria Park is the home of Finchley Carnival, a large fun fair held every year in July, dating back to 1905.
Finchley Central station opened on 22 August 1867 as part of the Great Northern Railway’s line between Finsbury Park and Edgware stations. As part of London Underground’s Northern Heights plan, Northern line trains started serving the station in 1940 and main line passenger services ended in 1941.
The station was originally named ’Finchley and Hendon’.