Selborne Gardens, NW4

Road in/near Hendon

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.58945 -0.23624, 51.589 -0.236) 

Selborne Gardens, NW4

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Hendon · NW4 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Selborne Gardens is a street in Hendon.




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Church Farmhouse Museum Church Farmhouse Museum was situated in a 17th-century farmhouse in Hendon – the oldest surviving dwelling in Hendon.
Hendon War Memorial Hendon War Memorial is located on the central reservation at the junction between Watford Way and The Burroughs.
Silk Stream (1916) The Silk Stream was the stream which fed the Welsh Harp reservoir.

NEARBY STREETS
Admiral Court, NW4 Admiral Court is a building on Barton Close.
Aerodrome Road, NW4 Aerodrome Road dates from the building of Hendon Way.
Alwyn Gardens, NW4 Alwyn Gardens is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Ansel Adams Way, HA2 Ansel Adams Way is a location in London.
Barton Close, NW4 Barton Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Bavdene Mews, NW4 Bavdene Mews is a small thoroughfare off of The Burroughs.
Bob Currie Close, HA2 Bob Currie Close is a location in London.
Bonville Gardens, NW4 Bonville Gardens is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Breasy Place, NW4 Breasy Place is a street in Hendon.
Burroughs Gardens, NW4 Burroughs Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Burroughs Parade, NW4 Burroughs Parade is a street in Hendon.
Canberra Close, NW4 Canberra Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Capa Taro Way, HA2 Capa Taro Way is a location in London.
Colin Crescent, NW9 Colin Crescent is a street in Kingsbury.
Colin Gardens, NW9 Colin Gardens is a street in Kingsbury.
Colindeep Gardens, NW4 Colindeep Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Colindeep Lane, NW4 Colindeep Lane runs west from the A41.
Crossway, NW9 Crossway is a street in Kingsbury.
Denmark Hill Drive, NW9 Denmark Hill Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Edgeworth Close, NW4 Edgeworth Close is a street in Hendon.
Edgeworth Crescent, NW4 Edgeworth Crescent is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Endersleigh Gardens, NW4 Endersleigh Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Felar Walk, NW9 Felar Walk is a location in London.
Greyhound Hill, NW4 Greyhound Hill was part of a medieval route which ran from Church End, Hendon to Mill Hill at the Three Hammers pub on the Ridgeway.
Hatchcroft, NW4 Hatchcroft is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Hendale Avenue, NW4 Hendale Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Humphry Repton Lane, HA9 Humphry Repton Lane is a location in London.
M1, NW4 The M1, as it enters the NW4 postcode, is the southernmost section of this motorway.
Mews Close, HA1 Mews Close is a location in London.
Newark Parade, NW4 Newark Parade is a street in Hendon.
Newark Way, NW4 Newark Way is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Peel Drive, NW9 Peel Drive was named for Robert Peel, founder of the Metropolitan Police.
Propeller Way, NW9 Propeller Way is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Propeller Way, NW9 Propeller Way is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Rickard Close, NW4 Rickard Close is a street in Hendon.
Rowan Drive, NW9 Rowan Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Saint Mary’s Crescent, NW4 This is a street in the NW4 postcode area
Scottwell Drive, NW9 Scottwell Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Sherrock Gardens, NW4 Sherrock Gardens is a street in Hendon.
St Josephs Grove, NW4 St Josephs Grove is a street in Hendon.
St Mary’s Crescent, NW4 St Mary’s Crescent is a road in the NW4 postcode area
St Mary’s Crescent, NW4 St Mary’s Crescent is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Sunny Hill, NW4 Sunny Hill is a street in Hendon.
Swynford Gardens, NW4 Swynford Gardens is a road in the NW4 postcode area
The Burroughs, NW4 The Burroughs, now simply a road, referred to a hamlet until the 1890s.
Thonrey Close, NW9 Thonrey Close is one of the newer roads of Colindale.
Watford Way, NW4 Watford Way runs from Hendon Central circus to Apex Corner.


Queen’s Park

Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Hendon Central Circus (1928)
TUM image id: 1489498245
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Hendon Central (1923)
TUM image id: 1489498425
Licence: CC BY 2.0
West Hendon from above
TUM image id: 1489498601
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Silk Stream near Colindale (1916)
TUM image id: 1517938166
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
The photo was taken in 1912, looking down the hill towards Hendon Aerodrome.
TUM image id: 1578154404
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Silk Stream near Colindale (1916)
TUM image id: 1517938166
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Print-friendly version of this page