Shieldhall Street, SE2
Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Mainly Edwardian housing
Print-friendly version of this page
Shieldhall Street is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area.
Abbey Grove, SE2 Abbey Grove is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Ampleforth Road, SE2 Ampleforth Road is one of of the streets on the Abbey Wood Estate named after monastic houses. Averley Road, SE2 Averley Road is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Binsey Walk, SE2 Binsey Walk is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Bostall Lane, SE2 Bostall Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Cole Close, SE28 Cole Close is one of the streets of London in the SE28 postal area. Commonwealth Way, SE2 Commonwealth Way is part of the Bostall Estate which was built between 1901 and 1914. Congress Road, SE2 Congress Road was part of the Bostal Estate which was developed by the Royal Arsenal Co-operative Society. Dahlia Road, SE2 Dahlia Road is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Eynsham Drive, SE2 Eynsham Drive dates from the late 1950s with the construction of the Abbey Wood Estate. Godstow Road, SE2 Godstow Road is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Knee Hill, SE2 Knee Hill forms the boundary between the modern boroughs of Bexley and Greenwich and the ancient parishes of Plumstead and Erith. Lensbury Way, SE2 Lensbury Way is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Lodge Hill, SE2 Lodge Hill is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Sewell Road, SE2 Sewell Road is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Shaw Close, SE28 Shaw Close is one of the streets of London in the SE28 postal area. Tavy Bridge, SE2 Tavy Bridge is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Thistlebrook, SE2 Thistlebrook is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Wilton Road, SE2 Wilton Road is one of the streets of London in the SE2 postal area. Woolf Close, SE28 Woolf Close is one of the streets of London in the SE28 postal area.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.