Horizon Building, E14
Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before with most of the buildings dating from the 2000s
Print-friendly version of this page
The Horizon Building
Canary Wharf Canary Wharf is a large business development on the Isle of Dogs, centred on the old West India Docks. Museum of London Docklands The Museum of London Docklands, based in an 1802 warehouse, tells the history of London’s River Thames and the growth of the Docklands. Poplar Baths Poplar Baths is a former public bath house dating from 1933. St Matthias Old Church St Matthias Old Church is the modern name given to the Poplar Chapel built by the East India Company in 1654. Tower Hamlets College Tower Hamlets College is a large further education and a constituent college of New City College. 1 Cabot Square 1 Cabot Square (also known as the Credit Suisse building) is a 21 floor office building occupied by Credit Suisse in the Canary Wharf development. 1 West India Quay, E14 1 West India Quay is a skyscraper designed by HOK in the Docklands area which was completed in 2004. Berber Place, E14 Berber Place is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Cabot Place, E14 Cabot Place is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Cabot Square, E14 Cabot Square is one of the central squares of the Canary Wharf Development. Canada Place, E14 Canada Place is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Canary Wharf, E14 Canary Wharf is a location rather than a road but one which has addresses assigned to it. Cannon Drive, E14 Cannon Drive is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Castor Lane, E14 Castor Lane is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Gill Street, E14 Gill Street is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Mackrow Walk, E14 Mackrow Walk is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Nash Court, E14 Nash Court is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Park Place, E14 Park Place is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Pennyfields, E14 Pennyfields is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Wades Place, E14 Wades Place is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.