Barham House

Large house in/near Elstree, existed between 1600 and 1931

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.65256 -0.28496) 

Barham House

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Large house · * · WD6 ·
August
25
2014

Barham (Boreham) House was once one of the most prominent properties in Elstree.

There had been a house on the site since circa 1600 which had changed occupants many times and was renamed over the years.

Francis Burton M.D. (died 1828), uncle of Richard Francis Burton, military surgeon who made Napoleon’s Death Mask, lived at Barham House, and is buried in Elstree parish church.

The final owner, the famous publisher Andrew Chatto, was there by 1897. His son sold the property to a local estate agency which demolished it.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


Napoleon’s Death Mask, made in 1821 by Barham House resident, Francis Burton M.D., the uncle of explorer Richard Francis Burton

Napoleon’s Death Mask, made in 1821 by Barham House resident, Francis Burton M.D., the uncle of explorer Richard Francis Burton
User unknown/public domain

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
27A Theobald Street 27a Theobald Street was once Boreham Wood’s first purpose-built school.
Allum Hall Allum Hall was a community centre and lately a venue.
Barham House Barham (Boreham) House was once one of the most prominent properties in Elstree.
Elstree and Borehamwood Elstree (and Borehamwood) station, constructed in 1868, has undergone a series of name changes.
Elstree Brick & Tile Company Elstree Brick Works ran from 1865 until 1915.
Hillside Hillside was the childhood home of Sir Richard Burton.
Nicoll Farm Nicoll Farm is one of the earliest locations recorded in the Borehamwood area.
The Grange The Grange was a large house built for Frank May, chief cashier to the Bank of England from 1873 to 1893.
The Myriad Stores Added photo for 49 Shenley Road, WD6
Theobald Street, looking north This image probably dates from the 1950s.

NEARBY STREETS
Allum Lane, WD6 Allum Lane links Borehamwood with Watling Street just north of Elstree village.
Barham Avenue, WD6 Barham Avenue was constructed on the site of two historic houses.
Berkeley Close, WD6 Berkeley Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Bishops Avenue, WD6 Bishops Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Blattner Close, WD6 Blattner Close was named after Ludwig (Louis) Blattner, cinema pioneer, when built in the late 1990s.
Boreham Holt, WD6 Boreham Holt is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Brickfield Cottages, WD6 Brickfield Cottages lie between Theobald Street and the railway.
Cavendish Crescent, WD6 Cavendish Crescent is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Deacons Hill Road, WD6 Deacons Hill Road is a road connecting Barnet Lane and Allum Lane.
Dunnock Close, WD6 Dunnock Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Fir Tree Court, WD6 Fir Tree Court is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Glenhaven Avenue, WD6 Glenhaven Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Grange Road, WD6 Grange Road is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Hollywood Court, WD6 Hollywood Court was built in 1935.
Holt Close, WD6 Holt Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Knowl Park, WD6 Knowl Park is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Knowl Way, WD6 Knowl Way is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Lakeside Court, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Links Drive, WD6 Links Drive is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Lodge Avenue, WD6 Lodge Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Nash Close, WD6 Nash Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Orchard Close, WD6 Orchard Close is a cul-de-sac off of Links Drive.
Park Crescent, WD6 Park Crescent is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Station Road, WD6 Station Road was laid out shortly after the railway was built to connect new industry built alongside the railway with the centre of the village.
Tauber Close, WD6 Tauber Close is a small cul-de-sac off of Allum Lane.
Whitehall Close, WD6 Whitehall Close was named for the Whitehall Studios which formerly stood on the site.
Woodside, WD6 Woodside is a road in the WD6 postcode area


Elstree

Elstree is a village in the southermost area of Hertfordshire situated on Watling Street.

Though since boundary changes fully in Hertfordshire, until the 1990s it was half in Hertfordshire and half in Middlesex (now Greater London).

It is most famous for giving its name to the Elstree Film Studios in nearby Borehamwood where a number of famous British films were made.

Elstree has an airfield, with a paved runway, suitable for light aircraft use. The nearest railway station is Elstree & Borehamwood.








LOCAL PHOTOS
Whitehall Studios
TUM image id: 1063
35 Shenley Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469322616
49 Shenley Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469360460
37 Shenley Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469362142
39 Shenley Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469362240
7 Shenley Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469394829
1 Shenley Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469916137
The Orchard
TUM image id: 1479167760
Deacon
Credit: Raphael Tuck and Sons
TUM image id: 1517851607
Print-friendly version of this page