Print-friendly version of this page
Spaniards Road is a street in Hampstead.
Heath House Heath House is a Grade II* listed historic mansion on Hampstead Heath. Spaniards Inn The Spaniards Inn lies in Hampstead Lane on the way from Hampstead to Highgate and on the edge of Hampstead Heath. North End Way, NW3 North End Way is the name for the southernmost section of North End Road - running from Hampstead to Golders Green. The Limes, NW3 The Limes replaced the Hare and Hounds pub which previously stood here.
Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.
Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground.
Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster (AD 986) and it is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086), the history of Hampstead is generally traced back to the 17th century.
Trustees of the Well started advertising the medicinal qualities of the chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) in 1700. Although Hampstead Wells was initially successful, its popularity declined in the 1800s due to competition with other London spas. The spa was demolished in 1882, although a water fountain was left behind.
Hampstead started to expand following the opening of the North London Railway in the 1860s (now on the London Overground), and expanded further after the tube station opened in 1907.