Sparkford Gardens, N11
Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before
Print-friendly version of this page
Sparkford Gardens is one of the streets of London in the N11 postal area.
Baron Close, N11 Baron Close was developed by Try Homes and was initially known as Princes Gate. Duchess Close, N11 Duchess Close was developed by Try Homes and was initially known as Princes Gate. Dudrich Close, N11 Dudrich Close got its name from Dudrich Holdings who developed the site. Earl Close, N11 Earl Close was developed by Try Homes and was initially known as Princes Gate. Friern Barnet Road, N11 Friern Barnet Road was Betstile Lane between 1549 and 1785, Southgate Lane in 1801, High Road in 1879, and its current name from 1889. Hatley Close, N11 Hatley Close appears for the first time in Kelly’s Directory of Finchley & Friern Barnet in 1935. Hollickwood Avenue, N12 Hollickwood Avenue was to have been called Lancaster Avenue but the Council insisted on Hollickwood Avenue in 1932. Holly Park Road, N11 Holly Park, the district north of Friern Barnet Road, was so called after 1871. The Broadway, N11 The Broadway is one of the streets of London in the N11 postal area.
Friern Barnet is located at the intersection of Colney Hatch Lane (running north and south), Woodhouse Road (taking westbound traffic towards North Finchley) and Friern Barnet Road (leading east towards New Southgate).
was an ancient parish in the Finsbury division of Ossulstone hundred, in the county of Middlesex.
The area was originally considered to be part of Barnet
, most of which was in Hertfordshire. By the 13th century the Middlesex section of Barnet
was known as Little Barnet
, before becoming Frerenbarnet and then Friern Barnet
(sometimes spelt in other ways, such as "Fryern Barnet
t"). The "Friern" part of the parish’s name derives from the French for "brother" and refers to the medieval lordship of the Brotherhood or Knights of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem.
The opening of railway stations on the Great Northern and Metropolitan Railways, in the mid-19th century, prompted some development.
But Friern Barnet
parish remained largely rural until after the First World War. The building of Colney Hatch asylum in 1851 helped to cut off the area to the south, and the location of railways caused the edges of the parish to be built up first.
In 1883 the most populous and prosperous district was that of All Saints’, Whetstone. Most of the population lived in the Freehold, Avenue, and Holly Park districts, which had grown up around Colney Hatch.
The working-class Freehold, so-called in the late 19th century when the original ownership of the land had been forgotten, lay south of Bounds Green brook and east of Colney Hatch Lane. The Avenue
was a similar area north-east of Colney Hatch, in the angle between Oakleigh Road South and Friern Barnet
Road and separated by the railway from Holly Park, to the west. Relative densities of population were altered by building in the central and northern parts of the parish after 1920. More than ten per cent of the land was still open as late as 1975, most of it in the southern part.
became part of the London Borough of Barnet