Print-friendly version of this page The Railway
pub is a standard Victorian pub with a musical secret.
Returned to the original name of The Railway
after a change to the Rat & Parrot
for a few years it is located on the corner of Broadhurst Gardens
and West End Lane
In the legendary Klooks Kleek venue above the pub, Jimi Hendrix jammed on stage, Stevie Wonder played to packed crowds, Tom Jones drank and Eric Clapton had his guitar stolen there. The club was a key component of the capital's early 1960s - the Rolling Stones played and supergroup Cream recorded its first live album there.
Klooks was an old Victorian drawing room, some 20 metres square and unlike other venues had no stage at all.
In the 1970s, the club was renamed The Moonlight
and U2 played their first gig outside Ireland there.
The venue is no longer used for music.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
The Railway, West Hampstead
Cannon Stream The Cannon Stream was, before it was sent underground, a tributary of the Westbourne River. Canterbury House In the last half of the nineteenth century, a white house called Canterbury was built on the then southern fringes of West End. Decca Studios Decca Studios was a recording facility in Broadhurst Gardens. Jacksfield Jacksfield was one of the smaller but well-documented copyhold estates in the West Hampstead area. Kilburn Grange Park Kilburn Grange Park is a three hectare open space adjacent to Kilburn High Road. Lauriston Lodge Lauriston Lodge, now the site of Dene Mansions, was a large house in West Hampstead. Oaklands Hall On the west side of West End Lane, Charles Spain bought 5 acres and between 1829 and 1838 built York Villa. Sandwell House Sandwell House was owned by three generations of the Wachter family. The Grange The Grange was a large mansion situated on Kilburn High Road until the turn of the twentieth century. The Railway The Railway pub is a standard Victorian pub with a musical secret. Treherne House Treherne House was built in the mid eighteenth century, West End House West End House, once in open countryside, became surrounded by railways. West End Park West End Park was created from fields known as the 'Little Estate'. Ariel Road, NW6 Ariel Road was formed from the 1885 combination of Ariel Street and Spencer Terrace. Dennington Park Road, NW6 About 1881 Dennington Park Road was constructed on the line of Sweetbriar Walk, the old path to Lauriston Lodge. Gascony Avenue, NW6 Gascony Avenue is an east-west road lying both sides of Kingsgate Road, NW6. Lithos Road, NW3 Lithos Road is a part of the NW3 postal area which lies west of the Finchley Road.
Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.