Print-friendly version of this page Ardwick Road, NW2 Ardwick Road was named Major Ardwick Burgess who developed the road. Central Square, NW11 Central Square was the original centre of Hampstead Garden Suburb due to the further development of the Suburb in the 1920s and 1930s, it is now located towards the west. Chalton Drive, N2 Chalton Drive is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Chandos Way, NW11 Chandos Way runs off of Wellgarth Road and Britten Close, in turn, runs off Chandos Way. Chichele Road, NW2 Chichele Road is named after All Souls’ College founder Henry Chichele. Church Mount, N2 Church Mount is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Corringham Road, NW11 Corringham Road is a manifestation of designer Raymond Unwin’s later ’Georgian’ phase. Finchley Road, NW2 Finchley Road runs briefly through the NW2 postcode as it passes through Childs Hill. Golders Green Road, NW11 Golders Green Road - known by many other names too during its history - lies along an ancient road from London to Hendon. Hampstead Way, NW11 Hampstead Way was one of the major roads designed for Hampstead Garden Suburb. Heath Drive, NW3 Heath Drive, one of the roads connecting Hampstead with the Finchley Road was originally West Hampstead Avenue. Holne Chase, N2 Holne Chase is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Kingsley Way, N2 Kingsley Way is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Norrice Lea, N2 Norrice Lea is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. North End Way, NW3 North End Way is the name for the southernmost section of North End Road - running from Hampstead to Golders Green. Pennine Drive, NW2 Pennine Drive is the main road of the so-called ’Golders Green Estate’. Platt’s Lane, NW3 A farmhouse on the edge of the heath was enlarged by Thomas Platt before 1811 and who gave his name to the lane.
Rotherwick Road, NW11 Rotherwick Road, like Corringham Road, links Golders Green with Hampstead Garden Suburb. Rowan Walk, N2 Rowan Walk is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. South Square, NW11 South Square is the name of the southern part of Central Square, Hampstead Garden Suburb. The Limes, NW3 The Limes replaced the Hare and Hounds pub which previously stood here. The Orchard, NW11 57 flats were built in The Orchard in 1909, one of the earliest roads of Hampstead Garden Suburb. Turners Wood, NW11 Turner’s Wood, built in 1916, was the final road of the original Hampstead Garden Suburb before the First World War brought work to an end.
Golders Green was a rural hamlet at the crossroads of Finchley Road and North End Road until the arrival of the tube in 1907.Golders Green
station was opened by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR, now part of the Northern Line) on 22 June 1907. It was one of the railway's two northern terminals (the other being at Archway) and was also the site of the railway's depot.
Before World War I plans were made to extend the CCE&HR north from Golders Green
to Hendon and Edgware to open up new areas of the Middlesex countryside to development and to create a source of new passengers. The war postponed the construction of the extension and work did not begin until 12 June 1922. The first section of the extension, as far as Hendon Central opened on 19 November 1923.