St Christophers Drive, UB3

Area might date from the first world war period with housing mainly dating from the 1980s

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.51561 -0.40698) 

St Christophers Drive, UB3

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Southall · UB3 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

St Christophers Drive is one of the streets of London in the UB3 postal area.




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Coldharbour Farm Coldharbour Farm, which was active in Hayes until the 1950s, was once the property of the Minet family.

NEARBY STREETS
18, UB3 A street within the UB3 postcode
Abbey Close, UB3 Abbey Close is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Abbotswood Way, UB3 Abbotswood Way is one of the streets of London in the UB3 postal area.
Addison Way, UB3 Addison Way is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Addison Way, UB4 Addison Way is a road in the UB4 postcode area
Bramley Close, UB3 A street within the UB3 postcode
Cold Harbour Lane, UB3 Cold Harbour Lane is one of the streets of London in the UB3 postal area.
Coldharbour Lane, UB3 Coldharbour Lane was an original lane in Hayes, dating from more rural times.
College Way, UB3 College Way is one of the streets of London in the UB3 postal area.
Corfe Close, UB4 Corfe Close is one of the streets of London in the UB4 postal area.
Cotmans Close, UB3 Cotmans Close is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Cranborne Waye, UB4 Cranborne Waye is one of the streets of London in the UB4 postal area.
Craven Close, UB4 Craven Close is one of the streets of London in the UB4 postal area.
Damson Drive, UB3 Damson Drive is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Dorchester Waye, UB4 Dorchester Waye is one of the streets of London in the UB4 postal area.
Eastholme, UB3 Eastholme is one of the streets of London in the UB3 postal area.
Elm Close, UB3 Elm Close is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Forsters Way, UB4 A street within the UB4 postcode
Grasmere Court, UB4 A street within the UB4 postcode
Hamilton Road, UB3 Hamilton Road is one of the streets of London in the UB3 postal area.
Harrow View, UB3 Harrow View is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Hesa Road, UB3 Hesa Road is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Hitherbroom Road, UB3 Hitherbroom Road is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Hughes Road, UB3 Hughes Road is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Langworth Drive, UB4 Langworth Drive is one of the streets of London in the UB4 postal area.
Lombardy Retail Park, UB3 A street within the UB3 postcode
Long Mead Road, UB3 Long Mead Road is one of the streets of London in the UB3 postal area.
Longmead Road, UB3 Longmead Road is one of the streets of London in the UB3 postal area.
Manor Road, UB3 Manor Road is one of the streets of London in the UB3 postal area.
Maxwell Close, UB3 Maxwell Close is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Newman Road, UB3 Newman Road is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Ninth Avenue, UB3 Ninth Avenue is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Orchard Road, UB3 Orchard Road is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Precinct Road, UB3 Precinct Road is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Priory Close, UB3 A street within the UB3 postcode
Quebec Road, UB4 Quebec Road is a road in the UB4 postcode area
Rectory Road, UB3 Rectory Road is one of the streets of London in the UB3 postal area.
St. Christophers Drive, UB3 A street within the UB3 postcode
Stirling Road, UB3 Stirling Road is one of the streets of London in the UB3 postal area.
Sturminster Close, UB4 Sturminster Close is a road in the UB4 postcode area
The Elms, UB3 The Elms is a road in the UB3 postcode area
The Warren, UB4 The Warren is one of the streets of London in the UB4 postal area.
Uxbridge Road, UB3 Uxbridge Road is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Wesley Road, UB3 Wesley Road is a road in the UB3 postcode area
West Drayton Road, UB3 West Drayton Road is a road in the UB3 postcode area
Yeading Lane, UB4 Yeading Lane is a street in Hayes


Southall

Southall is a large suburban district of west London, identified in the London Plan as one of 35 major centres in Greater London. It has one of the largest concentrations of South Asian people outside of the Indian sub-continent.

Southall formed part of the chapelry of Norwood in the ancient parish of Hayes, in the Elthorne hundred of Middlesex. The chapelry of Norwood had functioned as a separate parish since the Middle Ages. On 16 January 1891 the parish adopted the Local Government Act 1858 and the Southall Norwood Local Government District was formed. In 1894 it became the Southall Norwood Urban District. In 1936 the urban district was granted a charter of incorporation and became a municipal borough, renamed Southall. In 1965 the former area of the borough was merged with that of the boroughs of Ealing and Acton to form the London Borough of Ealing in Greater London.

The southern part of Southall (roughly south of the railway) used to be known as Southall Green (and a section of the main north-south road in the area is still called The Green) and was centred on the historic Tudor-styled Manor House which dates back to at least 1587. Little of the building is original but much dates back to the days when Southall Green was a quiet rural village.

The main east west road through the town is Uxbridge Road, though the name changes in the main shopping area to The Broadway and for an even shorter section to High Street. Uxbridge Road was part of the main London to Oxford stagecoach route for many years and remained the main route to Oxford until the building of the Western Avenue highway to the north of Southall in the first half of the 20th century. First horse drawn, then electric trams (until 1936) and, then, electric trolleybuses, gave Southall residents and workers quick and convenient transport along Uxbridge Road in the first half of the 20th century before they were replaced by standard diesel-engined buses in 1960.

The opening of the Grand Junction Canal (later renamed Grand Union Canal) as the major freight transport route between London and Birmingham in 1796 began a commercial boom, intensified by the arrival of Brunel's Great Western Railway in 1839, leading to brick factories, flour mills and chemical plants which formed the town's commercial base. In 1877, the Martin Brothers set up a ceramics factory in an old soap works next to the canal and until 1923, produced distinctive ceramics now known and collected as Martinware.

A branch railway line from Southall railway station to the Brentford Dock on the Thames was also built by Isambard Kingdom Brunel in 1856. It features one of his (impressive for the period) engineering works, the Three Bridges (although it is still often referred to on maps by the original canal crossing name of Windmill Bridge) where Windmill Lane, the railway and the Grand Union Canal all intersect – the canal being carried over the railway line cutting below in a cast-iron trough and a new cast-iron road-bridge going over both. It is listed as a Scheduled Ancient Monument.

Otto Monsted, a Danish margarine manufacturer, built a large factory at Southall in 1894. The factory was called the Maypole Dairy, and eventually grew to become one of the largest margarine manufacturing plants in the world, occupying a 28 hectares (69 acres) site at its peak. The factory also had its own railway sidings and branch canal. The Maypole Dairy Company was later acquired by Lever Brothers who, as part of the multinational Unilever company, converted the site to a Wall's Sausages factory which produced sausages and other meat products through until the late 1970s.

The Quaker Oats Company built a factory in Southall in 1936. Part of the operation that made pet foods was sold to Spiller's in 1994, and the remainder to Big Bear Group in 2006. The site continues to produce brands such as Sugar Puffs. Other engineering, paint and food processing factories prospered for many years, mostly alongside the railway and/or canal.

Southall was the home of Southall Studios, one of the earliest British film studios. It played a historic role in film-making from its creation in 1924 to its closure in 1959.

A major gas works manufacturing town gas was located between the railway and the canal. In 1932 a large gasholder was built which has been a noticeable landmark ever since as it can be easily observed from a long distance away. Painted on the north east side of the gasholder are the large letters 'LH' and an arrow to assist pilots locate Heathrow Airport's (now closed) runway 23 when making visual approaches. The letters were painted in the mid 1960s after a number of pilots became confused between Heathrow and the nearby RAF Northolt (which has a similar, though smaller, gasholder under its approach at Harrow).

Southall is primarily a South Asian residential district. In 1950, the first group of South Asians arrived in Southall, reputedly recruited to work in a local factory owned by a former British Indian Army officer. This South Asian population grew, due to the closeness of expanding employment opportunities such as London Heathrow Airport. There are ten Sikh Gurdwaras in Southall. The Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha, which opened in 2003, is one of the largest Sikh gurdwaras outside India, and it won the Ealing Civic Society Architectural Award in 2003. There are two large Hindu 'Mandir' temples, the Vishnu Hindu Mandir on Lady Margaret Road and the Ram Mandir in Old Southall. There are more than ten Christian churches including 5 Anglican, one Roman Catholic (St Anselm's Church), Baptist, Methodist and several Pentecostal or Independent.

The signs on the main railway station are bilingual in English and Gurmukhi, which is one of the written scripts of Punjabi.


LOCAL PHOTOS
The 1300s
TUM image id: 1300
Middlesex
TUM image id: 3099
Coldharbour Farm (1955)
TUM image id: 1556829390
Hayes Bridge Farm
TUM image id: 1557141731
Print-friendly version of this page