St Clare Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area.
29 Aldgate High Street 29 Aldgate High Street is a demolished property, originally on the north side of Aldgate High Street.. 46 Aldgate High Street This Grade II Listed office building is one of the few timber-framed buildings in the City that predates the Great Fire of 1666. Aldgate Aldgate was one of the massive gates which defended the City from Roman times until 1760. Aldgate Holy Trinity Priory The Holy Trinity Priory, also known as Christchurch Aldgate, was a priory of Austin canons (Black Canons) founded around 1108 by Queen Matilda of England. Aldgate Pump Aldgate Pump is a historic water pump, located at the junction where Aldgate meets Fenchurch Street and Leadenhall Street. All Hallows Staining All Hallows Staining was a church located at the junction of Mark Lane and Dunster Court. Altab Ali Park Altab Ali Park is a small park on Adler Street, White Church Lane and Whitechapel Road. Eastminster Eastminster (The Abbey of St. Mary de Graces) was a Cistercian abbey on Tower Hill and founded by Edward III in 1350. Goodman’s Fields Theatre Two 18th century theatres bearing the name Goodman’s Fields Theatre were located on Alie Street, Whitechapel. Great Synagogue of London The Great Synagogue of London was, for centuries, the centre of Ashkenazi synagogue and Jewish life in London. It was destroyed during World War II, in the Blitz. Holy Trinity, Minories Holy Trinity, Minories was a Church of England parish church outside the eastern boundaries of the City of London, but within the Liberties of the Tower of London. London Metal Exchange The London Metal Exchange (LME) is the futures exchange with the world’s largest market in options and futures contracts on base and other metals. Mark Lane station Mark Lane is a disused Circle and District line Underground station. Portsoken Portsoken is one of 25 wards in the City of London, each electing an alderman to the Court of Aldermen and commoners (the City equivalent of a councillor) elected to the Court of Common Council of the City of London Corporation. St Augustine Papey St Augustine Papey was a mediaeval church in the City of London situated just south of London Wall. St Botolph’s St. Botolph’s without Aldgate, located on Aldgate High Street, has existed for over a thousand years. St Gabriel Fenchurch St Gabriel Fenchurch (or Fen Church) was a parish church in the City of London, destroyed in the Great Fire and not rebuilt. St James Duke’s Place St James Duke’s Place was an Anglican parish church in the Aldgate ward of the City of London. St Katharine Cree St Katharine Cree is a Church of England church on the north side of Leadenhall Street near Leadenhall Market.
St Mary Axe St Mary Axe was a mediaeval church situated just north of Leadenhall Street on a site now occupied by Fitzwilliam House. St Mary Matfelon St Mary Matfelon church was popularly known as St Mary’s, Whitechapel. St Olave Hart Street St Olave’s Church is a Church of England church located on the corner of Hart Street and Seething Lane. St. Mary Axe St Mary Axe was a medieval parish in the City of London whose name survives as that of the street which formerly occupied it. 100 Bishopsgate 100 Bishopsgate is a development of two mixed-use buildings on Bishopsgate in London. 99 Bishopsgate, EC2N 99 Bishopsgate is a commercial skyscraper located on Bishopsgate, a major thoroughfare in the City of London financial district. Adler Street, E1 Adler Street runs between the Whitechapel Road and the Commercial Road. Aldgate High Street, EC3N Once the route to one of the six original gates of the Wall of London, Aldgate High Street has an important place in medieval London’s history. Aldgate, EC3N Aldgate was the easternmost gateway through the London Wall leading from the City of London to Whitechapel and the East End. Alie Street, E1 Originally called Ayliff Street, Alie Street was named after a relative of William Leman, whose great-uncle, John Leman had bought Goodman’s Fields. America Square, EC3N America Square is a street and small square, built in about 1760 and dedicated to the American colonies. Angel Alley, E1 Angel Alley was a narrow passage which ran north-south from Wentworth Street to Whitechapel High Street.. Assam Street, E1 Assam Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Beer Lane, EC3R Beer Lane ran from the east end of Great Tower Street to Lower Thames Street. Bevis Marks, EC3A Bevis Marks is a short street in the ward of Aldgate in the City of London. Bowmans Mews, E1 Bowmans Mews is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Braham Street, E1 Braham Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Buckle Street, E1 Buckle Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Bury Street, EC3A Bury Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Chamber Street, E1 Chamber Street is a thoroughfare running east-west from Leman Street to Mansell Street. Colchester Street, EC3N Before its was renamed and extended in 1923, Colchester Street was a side street near to the Tower of London. Coopers Row, EC3N Coopers Row is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Crescent, EC3N Crescent is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Cresent, EC3N Cresent is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Cutler Street, E1 Cutler Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Dock Street, E1 Dock Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Ensign Street, E1 Ensign Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Goulston Street, E1 Goulston Street is a thoroughfare running north-south from Wentworth Street to Whitechapel High Street. Gowers Walk, E1 Gowers Walk is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Gravel Lane, E1 Gravel Lane is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Great Tower Street, EC3R Great Tower Street, originally known just as Tower Street, forms an eastern continuation of Eastcheap. Harp Lane, EC3R Harp Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Harrow Place, E1 Harrow Place is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Hart Street, EC3R Hart Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Hooper Street, E1 Hooper Street is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Houndsditch, EC3A Houndsditch is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Idol Lane, EC3R Idol Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Kent and Essex Yard, E1 Kent and Essex Yard ran north of Whitechapel High Street, close to the west side of Commercial Street. Lime Street, EC3M Lime Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3M postal area. Mark Lane, EC3R Mark Lane is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Minories, EC3N Minories is one of the old streets of the City of London. Mitre Avenue, E17 Mitre Avenue is one of the streets of London in the E17 postal area. Old Castle Street, E1 Old Castle Street runs north-south from Wentworth Street to Whitechapel High Street, the southern section of which incorporates the former Castle Alley, murder site of Ripper victim Alice McKenzie. Pepys Street, EC3N Pepys Street links Seething Lane in the west to Cooper’s Row in the east. Petty Wales, EC3N Petty Wales is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Plantation Place Plantation Place takes its name from a previous Plantation House, once the recognised centre of the tea trade. Savage Gardens, EC3N Savage Gardens connects Crutched Friars in the north to Trinity Square in the south, crossing Pepys Street. St James’s Place, EC3A St James Place was an open square, formerly Broad Court, which held a daily market that sold fruits of various kinds. St Mary Axe, EC3A St Mary Axe is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Staple Hall, EC3A Staple Hall is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Stoney Lane, E1 Stoney Lane is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Tower Bridge, E1W Tower Bridge is one of the streets of London in the E1W postal area. Tower Hill, EC3N Tower Hill is a street and square, northwest of the Tower of London. Tower Place, EC3R Tower Place is one of the streets of London in the EC3R postal area. Undershaft, EC2N Undershaft is one of the streets of London in the EC2N postal area. Undershaft, EC3A Undershaft is one of the streets of London in the EC3A postal area. Vine Street, EC3N Vine Street is one of the streets of London in the EC3N postal area. Whitechapel High Street, E1 Whitechapel High Street runs approximately west-east from Aldgate High Street to Whitechapel Road and is designated as part of the A11. Wormwood Street, EC2N Wormwood Street refers to the wormwood plant which used to grow on the London Wall and in other areas of wasteland in the City.
Aldgate was one of the massive gates which defended the City from Roman times until 1760.
Stow wrote in his Survey of London of 1598 that ’It hath had two pair of gates, though now but one; the hooks remaineth yet. Also there hath been two port-closes; the one of them remai
The gate stood at the corner of the modern Duke’s Place and was always an obstacle to traffic. It was rebuilt between 1108–47, again in 1215, and reconstructed completely between 1607-09. The gate was finally removed in 1761; it was temporarily re-erected at Bethnal Green.
While he was a customs official, from 1374 until 1386, Geoffrey Chaucer occupied apartments above the gate. The Augustinians priory of Holy Trinity Aldgate
was founded by Matilda, the wife of King Henry I, in 1108, on ground just inside the gate.
ward, Jews settled from 1181, until their expulsion in 1290 by King Edward I. The area became known as Old Jewry. Jews were welcomed back by Oliver Cromwell, and once again they settled in the area, founding London’s oldest synagogue at Bevis Marks
’s junction with Leadenhall Street
and Fenchurch Street
is the site of the old Aldgate
Pump. From 1700 it was from this point that distances were measured into the counties of Essex and Middlesex. The original pump was taken down in 1876, and a ’faux’ pump and drinking fountain was erected several yards to the west of the original; it was supplied by water from the New River. In ancient deeds, Alegate Well is mentioned, adjoining the City wall, and this may have been the source (of water) for the original pump. A section of the remains of Holy Trinity Priory can be seen through a window in a nearby office block, on the north side.
The area around the large traffic roundabout to the east of where the gate stood is also often referred to as Aldgate
(although strictly, this is Aldgate
High Street, and extends a short distance into Whitechapel; it is also known occasionally by the epithet ’Gardiners’ Corner’, in honour of a long-disappeared department store).
underground station was opened on 18 November 1876 with the southbound extension to Tower Hill
opening on 25 September 1882, completing the (Inner) Circle. Services from Aldgate
originally ran far further west than they do now, reaching as far as Richmond, and trains also used to run from Aldgate
to Hammersmith (the Hammersmith & City line now bypasses the station). It became the terminus of the Metropolitan line only in 1941. Before that, Metropolitan trains had continued on to the southern termini of the East London Line.
Platforms 1 and 4 at Aldgate
are the only two platforms on the network to be served exclusively by the Circle line.