St Johns Court, NW3

Road in/near Swiss Cottage

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.54619 -0.17965) 

St Johns Court, NW3

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Swiss Cottage · NW6 ·
JANUARY
1
2015

St Johns Court is a street in Hampstead.




NEARBY STREETS
Adamson Road, NW3 Adamson Road is named after either a contractor or architect to Eton College.
Avenue Road, NW3 Avenue Road dates from 1829.
Baynes Mews, NW3 Baynes Mews is a mews within the conservation area of Belsize Park.
Belsize Crescent, NW3 Belsize Crescent is a street in Hampstead.
Belsize Cresent, NW3 Belsize Cresent, NW3 dates from 1868.
Belsize Park Mews, NW3 Belsize Park Mews lies in the Belsize Park Conservation Area.
Beswick Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Billy Fury Way, NW3 Billy Fury Way is a road in the NW3 postcode area
Broadhurst Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Broadhurst Gardens, NW6 Broadhurst Gardens is in West Hampstead, NW6
Buckland Crescent, NW3 Buckland Crescent is a street in Hampstead.
Canfield Gardens, NW6 Canfield Gardens was first laid out in 1881.
Canfield Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Central Avenue, SW10 Central Avenue is a road in the SW10 postcode area
College Crescent, NW3 College Crescent was built by the Eyre family.
Compayne Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Daleham Gardens, NW3 Daleham Gardens dates from the 1880s.
Daleham Mews, NW3 Daleham Mews is a mews in Belsize Park.
Dobson Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Doulton Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Fairfax Mansions, NW3 Fairfax Mansions is a street in Hampstead.
Fairfax Place, NW6 Fairfax Place has undergone name changes - at first Victoria Mews and then Fairfax Mews.
Fairfax Road, NW6 Fairfax Road runs south from the Finchley Road to Belsize Road.
Fairhazel Gardens, NW6 Fairhazel Gardens runs from Broadhurst Gardens to Goldhurst Terrace.
Finchley Road, NW3 Finchley Road is one of north London’s main roads.
Frognal Court, NW3 Frognal Court is a street in Hampstead.
Frognal, NW3 A road called Frognal runs from Church Row in Hampstead downhill to Finchley Road and follows the course of a stream which goes on to form the River Westbourne.
Goldhurst Terrace, NW3 This is a street in the NW3 postcode area
Greencroft Gardens, NW6 Greencroft Gardens dates from 1884-5.
Hampstead Gate, NW3 Hampstead Gate is a street in Hampstead.
Harben Parade, NW3 Harben Parade is a parade of shops along Finchley Road.
Harben Road, NW6 Harben Road was first known as Albion Road.
Jade Terrace, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Lithos Road, NW3 Lithos Road is part of the NW3 postal area which lies west of the Finchley Road.
Lithos Road, NW3 Lithos Road is a street in Hampstead.
Maresfield Gardens, NW3 Maresfield Gardens is a street in Hampstead.
Marston Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
McCrone Mews, NW3 McCrone Mews is a mews - formerly the location of a depot of the London Parcel Delivery Company.
Minton Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Naseby Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Netherhall Gardens, NW3 Netherhall Gardens is a street in Hampstead.
Netherhall Way, NW3 Netherhall Way is a street in Hampstead.
New College Parade, NW3 New College Parade is a street in Hampstead.
Northways Parade, NW3 Northways Parade replaced New College which was mainly located in College Crescent
Nutley Terrace, NW3 Nutley Terrace is a street in Hampstead.
Princess Mews, NW3 Princess Mews is a mews of Belsize Park.
Rosemont Road, NW3 Rosemont Road is a street in Hampstead.
Rosslyn Mansions, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Spode Walk, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Swiss Terrace, NW3 Swiss Terrace connects Belsize Road with the Swiss Cottage junction.
Trinity Walk, NW3 Trinity Walk is a street in Hampstead.
Winchester Road, NW3 Winchester Road is named after the first Provost of Eton, William Waynflete Bishop of Winchester.
Worcester Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6


Swiss Cottage

Swiss Cottage is named after an inn called The Swiss Tavern that was built in 1804 in the style of a Swiss chalet and on the site of a former tollgate keeper’s cottage.

The district formed part of the ancient parish of Hampstead. It developed following the Finchley Road Act 1826, which authorised construction of Finchley New Road and Avenue Road, with The Swiss Tavern located at the junction of the new roads. The neighbourhood around Finchley Road and Avenue Road was redeveloped in 1937 and 1938 with the opening of an Odeon cinema and the Regency Lodge flats. After World War II, local authority housing was constructed by the London County Council in the area.

Local amenities include an Odeon Cinema, Sir Basil Spence’s Grade II-listed Swiss Cottage Central Library and the Hampstead Theatre. Swiss Cottage is the location of the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama that occasionally performs at the Embassy Theatre. Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre reopened in early 2006 after redevelopment; it now has two swimming pools, a gym and a climbing wall. Many of the area’s cityscapes and London street scenes, particularly of Swiss Cottage, Adamson Rd, Eton Ave and Belsize Park were represented by the Camden Town Group painter Robert Bevan and his wife, the Polish painter Stanislawa de Karlowska. They lived at 14 Adamson Road.

Swiss Cottage station was opened in 1868 as the northern terminus of the Metropolitan and St. John’s Wood Railway, the first northward branch extension from Baker Street of the Metropolitan Railway (now the Metropolitan line). From here, starting in 1879, the line was subsequently extended further to Watford, Amersham, Chesham and Uxbridge.

The current station was opened on 20 November 1939 on a new section of deep-level tunnel constructed between Baker Street and Finchley Road stations when the Metropolitan line’s services on its Stanmore branch were transferred to the Bakerloo line.

The new station initially operated as part of a combined station with the Metropolitan line’s adjacent sub-surface Swiss Cottage station (platforms 1 and 2 were Metropolitan line and 3 and 4 were Bakerloo line), but the Metropolitan line station was closed on 17 August 1940. The Bakerloo line station was subsequently transferred along with the rest of the Stanmore branch to the Jubilee line when it opened on 1 May 1979.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Print-friendly version of this page