St Katharines Precinct, NW1
Print-friendly version of this page
St Katharines Precinct is a street in Camden Town.
Abbey Place, WC1H Abbey Place was in the centre of Bloomsbury, off what was originally the west side of Little Coram Street and directly behind the Russell Institution on Great Coram Street. Agar Grove, NW1 Formerly known as St Paul’s Road, the name Agar Grove dates from 1938. Ainger Road, NW3 Ainger Road lies along the boundary of St John’s Hampstead, a parish which saw rapid development in the nineteenth century. Albany Street, NW1 Albany Street runs from Marylebone Road to Gloucester Gate following the east side of Regent’s Park. Albany Terrace, NW1 Albany Terrace was named after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV). Aldenham Street, NW1 Aldenham Street – Richard Platt, 16th century brewer and local landowner, gave land for the endowment of Aldenham School, Hertfordshire. Alfred Mews, WC1E Alfred Mews is situated off Tottenham Court Road, running behind the gardens of North Crescent. Alfred Place, WC1E Alfred Place was built in 1806 by a Marylebone stonemason called John Waddilove who named it after his son Alfred. Alpha Road, NW8 Alpha Road, named after the Greek letter, was the first street to be developed in this area in 1799. Anglers Lane, NW5 Anglers Lane once ran down to a small bridge across the River Fleet at a spot that was popular with fishermen. Arlington Road, NW1 Arlington Road is misnamed from a noble derivation of Harlington, Middlesex. Ashland Place, W1U Alongside the cemetery of Marylebone ran Burying Ground Passage which was renamed Ashland Place in 1886. Ashmill Street, NW8 Ashmill Street was formerly owned by the Portman estate and named for Ash Mill in Devon where the family owned land. Augustus Street, NW1 Augustus Street - after Ernest Augustus, King of Hanover, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV). Baker Street, W1U Baker Street was laid out in the 18th century by the builder William Baker, after whom it is named. Barker Drive, NW1 Barker Drive built over railway sidings, takes its name from Tom Barker (1887-1970) who served as Mayor of Camden in the 1950s. Bayham Street, NW1 Bayham Street is named for one of Lord’s Camden’s titles, Viscount Bayham. Beaumont Street, W1G Beaumont Street is the location of the King Edward VII Hospital and the Marylebone Library. Bedford Way, WC1H Bedford Way is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area. Bird Street, W1T Bird Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Brandon Road, N7 Brandon Road is one of the streets of London in the N7 postal area. Bridge Approach, NW1 Bridge Approach was once a busy thoroughfare connecting Regents Park Road with the world. Buck Street, NW1 Buck Street leads from Kentish Town Road to Camden High Street. Camden Road, NW1 Camden Road is a main road running from Camden up to Holloway Road. Camden Square, NW1 Camden Square is a long green space running north east to south west parallel to Camden Road. Caversham Road, NW5 Caversham Road was named for 18th century landowner, Rev Robert South of Caversham, Cannon of Chris College, Oxford. Chester Terrace, NW1 Chester Terrace is the longest unbroken facade of the neo-classical terraces in Regent's Park. Clare Court, WC1H Clare Court is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area. Clay Street, W1U Clay Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Cleveland Street, W1W Cleveland Street maybe dates from before 1632 when its name was recorded as Wrastling Lane. Colonnade, WC1N Colonnade is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Conway Mews, W1T Conway Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Conway Street, W1T Conway Street runs from the Euston Road in the north to Fitzroy Square in the south. Curnock Street, NW1 George Curnock was the 19th century proprietor of two wharves on the Regent’s Canal. David Mews, W1U David Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Denton Street, N1C Denton Street disappeared under the construction of St Pancras station. Duchess Mews, W1G Duchess Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area. Dukes Road, WC1H Dukes Road is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area. Ernest Street, NW1 Ernest Street appears on the 1860 map as the name for part of Robert Street. Euston Road, NW1 Euston Road runs from Marylebone Road to King's Cross. The road is part of the London Inner Ring Road and forms part of the London congestion charge zone boundary. Euston Tower, NW1 Euston Tower is a skyscraper located at 286 Euston Road, near the intersection with Tottenham Court Road. Fair Road, W1B Fair Road is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area. First Floor, W1T First Floor is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Fitzroy Mews, W1T Fitzroy Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Foley Street, W1W Foley Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area. Goodge Place, W1T Goodge Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Gordon Square, WC1H The completion of Thomas Cubitt’s Gordon Square in 1860 marked the final development of Bloomsbury. Gower Street, WC1E Gower Street is named after Gertrude Leveson-Gower, the wife of John Russell, the 4th Duke of Bedford. Grafton Mews, W1T Grafton Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Grafton Way, W1T Grafton Way is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Great Russell Street, WC1A Great Russell Street commemorates the marriage of the daughter of the 4th Earl of Southampton to William Russell in 1669. Harley Place, W1G Harley Place is one of the streets of London in the W1G postal area. Harley Street, W1G Harley Street, the centre of private medical practices in London, was named after Thomas Harley who was Lord Mayor of London in 1767. Herbrand Street, WC1N Herbrand Street is in the east of Bloomsbury, running south from Tavistock Place to Guilford Street. Homer Row, W1H Homer Row is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Homer Street, W1H Homer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Judd Street, WC1H Judd Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area. Keppel Street, WC1E Keppel Street links Store Street and Gower Street in the west to Malet Street in the east. King’s Terrace, NW1 King’s Terrace was formerly Little King Street South and Little King Street North. Lisson Grove, NW1 The southern end of Lisson Grove was the location of a hamlet and open space, both called Lisson Green. Little Guildford Street Little Guildford Street was the middle part of what is now Herbrand Street, between Great Coram Street and Bernard Street, on the western edge of the Foundling estate. Malet Street, WC1E Sir Edward Malet was married to Lady Ermyntrude Sackville Russell, daughter of Francis Russell who owned much of the surrounding area. Maple Street, W1T Maple Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Market Place, W1H Market Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Market Road, N7 Market Road is one of the streets of London in the N7 postal area. Meadowbank, NW3 Meadowbank, blocks of flats on a street of the same name, were created as part of the Whitton council estate in 1970/71. Medburn Street, NW1 Medburn Street is named after a farm between Elstree and Radlett in Hertfordshire. Montagu Row, W1U Montagu Row is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Moxon Street, W1U Moxon Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. Ogle Street, W1W Ogle Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area. Oppidans Mews, NW3 Oppidans Mews was the very road to be laid out in the original development of the area. Parkway, NW1 Parkway is one of Camden Town’s older roads - originally called ’The Crooked Lane’. Percy Street, W1T Percy Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Plender Street, NW1 William Plender, 1st Baron Plender was an accountant and public servant who served as Sheriff of the County of London in 1927. Prince Albert Road, NW1 Originally called Albert Road, it was renamed after the Prince Consort of Queen Victoria in 1938. Rochester Mews, NW1 Rochester Mews is a cobbled through road with a cul-de-sac section off Rochester Road. Russell Square, WC1B Russell Square was laid out from 1800 by James Burton following the demolition of Bedford House, which originally stood on the site surrounded by gardens and fields. Scala Street, W1T Scala Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Tavistock Square, WC1H Tavistock Square was built by property developer James Burton and the master builder Thomas Cubitt for Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford. Third Floor, WC1E Third Floor is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area. Tileyard Road, N7 Tileyard Road is one of the streets of London in the N7 postal area. Torrington Square, WC1H Torrington Square was originally laid out as part of the Bedford Estate development in 1821-25, named after the father-in-law of the 6th Duke of Bedford. Tottenham Court Road, W1T Tottenham Court Road is a major road running from the junction of Oxford Street and Charing Cross Road, north to Euston Road - a distance of about three-quarters of a mile. Union Street, W1W The easternmost section of Riding House Street was previously known as Union Street. Vale Royal, N7 Vale Royal is one of the streets of London in the N7 postal area. Warren Mews, W1T Warren Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Warren Street, W1T Warren Street was named after Anne Warren (1737–1807), the wife of Charles FitzRoy, landowner. Whitfield Street, W1T Whitfield Street runs from Warren Street in the north to Windmill Street in the south. Wilsted Street, NW1 Wilsted Street was the original name for the lower end of Ossulston Street. Woburn Mews, WC1H Woburn Mews ran parallel between Woburn Place and Upper Bedford Place to the west of Woburn Place. Woburn Place, WC1H Woburn Place is situated on the Bedford estate, running north from the east of Russell Square to the east of Tavistock Square. Wollstonecraft Street, N1C Wollstonecraft Street was the first name to be chosen from a naming competition by the developers of N1C. Wyndham Place, W1H Wyndham Place leads from the northern end of Bryanston Square to the 1821 Church of St Mary’s. York Street, W1H York Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. York Street, W1U York Street is one of the streets of London in the W1U postal area. York Way, N7 York Way is one of the streets of London in the N7 postal area.
Camden Town tube station is a major junction on the Northern Line and one of the busiest stations on the London Underground network. It is particularly busy at weekends with tourists visiting Camden Market and Camden High Street.
Camden is well-known for Camden Market which is a major tourist attraction, particularly busy at weekends, selling variety of fashion, antiques, lifestyle and bizarre goods; they (and the surrounding shops) are popular with young people, in particular those searching for alternative
It is an area popular with overseas students who come to Camden to learn English and find a job in one of the local bars or restaurants. The oldest established language school is Camden College of English, which is located at the Chalk Farm side of the market.
The Regent’s Canal runs through the north end of Camden Town and is a popular walk in summer.
Camdem Town tube station began life as part of the original route of the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR) (now part of the Northern Line). As the line here branched into two routes, to Hampstead and to Highgate, the design of the station was rather unusual, shaped like a V. The line to Hampstead (now the Edgware Branch) is under Chalk Farm Road
; the line to Highgate (now the High Barnet branch) is under Kentish Town Road
. With the narrowness of the roads above, and the necessity to keep directly beneath them to avoid having to pay compensation to landowners during construction, on both lines the northbound platform is directly above the southbound one.
At the apex of the V is a junction allowing northbound trains to take either of the branches north, and likewise allow the trains south from the branches to join the single southbound track. This resulted in four connecting tunnels. When the CCE&HR and City & South London Railway lines were joined together after the City & South London Line became part of London Underground, a short extension from the Euston terminus of the City & South London was built to connect with each of the two northerly branches. This added another four tunnels to the junction, making it the most complex junction on the network.