Pembridge Road (1900s)

Image dated 1900

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Photo taken in a northerly direction · Notting Hill Gate · W11 ·

This is the view looking north down Pembridge Road from Notting Hill Gate.

Pembridge Road (1900s)
Most of these buildings are still there now, only the shops have changed. And the
people of course!

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


Pembridge Road (1900s)
User unknown/public domain


Notting Hill Gate

Notting Hill Gate tube station is a London Underground station on the Central Line.

Notting Hill Gate is home to a variety of stores, restaurants, cafés and estate agents as well as more specialist stores which include rare records and antiques, as well as two historic cinemas, the Coronet (originally opened as a theatre in 1898) and The Gate, as well as also several bars and clubs.

Much of the street was redeveloped in the 1950s with two large tower blocks being erected on the north and south sides of the street.

The sub-surface Circle and District line Notting Hill Gate station platforms were opened on 1 October 1868 by the Metropolitan Railway as part of its extension from Paddington to Gloucester Road. The Central line platforms were opened on 30 July 1900 by the Central London Railway. Entrances to the two sets of platforms were originally via separate station buildings on opposite sides of the road and access to the CLR platforms was originally via lifts.
Print-friendly version of this page