in the west to Stoke Newington High Street in the east.
The road was noted as Newington Lane in 1403, then Church Street in 1576 and as Stoke Newington Church Street
A number of notable properties flanked it: Newington Hall, Paradise House and Glebe Place amongst others.
is at one end of Church Street. Abney Park Cemetery
which dates from 1840 has an entrance on the street. At the junction with Albion Road
, was the municipal town hall and assembly hall of the former borough of Stoke Newington (refurbished in 2010). In Abney House, the Newington Academy for Girls of 1824 ran the world’s first school bus from Church Street to Gracechurch Street meeting house in the City, taking the pupils to Quaker worship.
In addition to many public houses and restaurants, the street is home to a wide range of independent shops.