Summit Close, NW9

Road in/near Colindale, existing between 1926 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.587 -0.25684) 

Summit Close, NW9

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Colindale · NW9 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Summit Close was built as part of the Summit Estate.

There is a small cut-through to Pear Close allowing pedestrians access to Hay Lane.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Plough Inn The Plough at Kingsbury Green was established in 1748.

NEARBY STREETS
Ash Tree Dell, NW9 Ash Tree Dell was the one of two new roads off Buck Lane which was developed by the Kingsbury Cross Co-Partnership from 1931 onwards.
Beaulieu Close, NW9 Beaulieu Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Buck Lane, NW9 Buck Lane is a street in Kingsbury.
Colin Close, NW9 Colin Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Colin Parade, NW9 Colin Parade is a street in Kingsbury.
Colin Park Road, NW9 Colin Park Road is a street in Kingsbury.
Coniston Gardens, NW9 Coniston Gardens is a street in Kingsbury.
Court Way, NW9 Court Way is a street in Kingsbury.
Crummock Gardens, NW9 Crummock Gardens is a street in Kingsbury.
Derwent Avenue, NW9 Derwent Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Edgware Road, NW9 Edgware Road is a street in Kingsbury.
Elmwood Crescent, NW9 Elmwood Crescent was part of Ernest Trowbridge’s 1922-1924 Elmwood Estate.
Ennerdale Drive, NW9 Ennerdale Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Evelyn Avenue, NW9 Evelyn Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Fairfields Close, NW9 Fairfields Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Fairfields Crescent, NW9 Fairfields Crescent is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Forest Gate, NW9 Forest Gate is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Grove Crescent, NW9 Grove Crescent is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Hay Lane, NW9 Hay Lane is a street in Kingsbury.
Haydon Close, NW9 Haydon Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Hayland Close, NW9 Hayland Close is part of the 1920s Summit Estate.
High Meadow Crescent, NW9 High Meadow Crescent is typical of 1920s local authority housing.
Highcroft, NW9 Highcroft is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Highfield Avenue, NW9 Highfield Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Highfield Close, NW9 Highfield Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Highfort Court, NW9 Highfort Court was built in 1935-36 by Ernest Trobridge.
Hill View Gardens, NW9 Hill View Gardens is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Hillside, NW9 Hillside is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Kenwood Court, NW9 Kenwood Court was built after a fire.
Larkway Close, NW9 Larkway Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Lodore Gardens, NW9 Lodore Gardens is a street in Kingsbury.
Mead Court, NW9 Mead Court is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Meadow Way, NW9 Meadow Way is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Mountaire Court, NW9 Mountaire Court is a street in Kingsbury.
Oak Tree Dell, NW9 Oak Tree Dell is half of a pair of 1930s twin roads along with Ash Tree Dell.
Orchard Gate, NW9 Orchard Gate is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Pear Close, NW9 Pear Close was laid out by local developer H.J. Aldous.
Ridge Close, NW9 Ridge Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Rose Glen, NW9 Rose Glen is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Rydal Gardens, NW9 Rydal Gardens is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Sheaveshill Parade, NW9 Sheaveshill Parade is a street in Kingsbury.
Springfield Gardens, NW9 Springfield Gardens is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Springfield Mount, NW9 Springfield Mount is a street in Kingsbury.
Stancroft, NW9 Stancroft is a street in Kingsbury.
Stonegate Court, NW9 Stonegate Court was built in a castle-like style.
Summit Avenue, NW9 Summit Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Sunny View, NW9 Sunny View is a road in the NW9 postcode area
The Greenhouse, NW9 Residential block
The Retreat, NW9 The Retreat is a road in the NW9 postcode area
The Ridgeway, NW9 The Ridgeway is a crescent north of Wakemans Hill Avenue.
The Triangle, NW9 The Triangle dates from 1933.
Tyre Lane, NW9 Tyre Lane is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Uphill Drive, NW9 Uphill Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Varley Parade, NW9 Varley Parade is a street in Kingsbury.
Wakemans Hill Avenue, NW9 Wakemans Hill Avenue is the eastern extension to Highfield Avenue beyond Buck Lane.
Windover Avenue, NW9 Windover Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area


Colindale

Colindale is an area of north London lying to the northwest of Hendon.

Formerly in the borough and ancient parish of Hendon, Colindale was essentially the dale between Mill Hill and Burroughs. By the middle of the 20th century, it had come to include that part of the Edgware Road between The Hyde, and Burnt Oak.

The area is named after a 16th century family of the same name. Until the 20th century Collindale, was without any buildings save for a large house called Collindale Lodge, Collindale Farm, and a few cottages. (A spelling with two L’s has been used, as on this printed in 1873.) All of these properties were on Collindeep Lane, which had in the medieval period been an alternative route out of London (via Hampstead, Golders Green, and Hendon) to the Edgware Road. By the end of the 16th century it was not often used as a main road, and by the middle part of the 19th century was called Ancient Street.

By the end of the 19th century cheap land prices made Colindale attractive to developers. Colindale Hospital was started in 1898 as an asylum for the long term sick of central London, and The Government Lymph Establishment for making vaccines was built in 1907. By 1996 the majority of the hospital was closed, and at present lies mostly derelict. In 1902 the British Museum built a new depository, and kept the newspaper collection there from 1934.

Garstin’s Ltd established a trunk factory in 1901, as well as a row of cottages called Leatherville, as such they constitute the first manufacturer in the Collindale. By 1914 there was already housing between Colindale Avenue and Annesley avenues mostly to house the workers of these endeavours. Immediately after the First World War a number of other manufacturing companies came to Colindale. Franco Illuminated Signs came to Aerodrome Road in 1922. They made their money making the lights for the Franco British Exhibition (1909), from which they took their name (later abbreviated to Franco). They were best known for the neon signs to be found in Piccadilly from the 1920s to the 1970s. Frigidaire started in a wooden shack in Aerodrome Road, employing 11 people in 1923, and selling the first automatic household fridges in England. The reason why many of these and other companies chose Colindale was that there was land available for expansion. However by 1923 the tube railway reached Colindale, land prices increased and factory expansion was not realisable. A number of industries looked elsewhere for premises. In 1931 Fridgdaire, for example, decided to build a new manufacturing plant on the Edgware Road and had moved its entire operations there by 1946.

Colindale station opened on 18 August 1924 on what was then the Hampstead and Highgate Line as the first station on the second section of the Underground’s extension to Edgware.

After the station opened suburban development was rapid, and by 1939 much of the western side was semi-detached housing. Typical is the Colin Park Estate built by F. H. Stucke & Co, built around Colindeep Lane (1927). A number of the houses on this estate are by the architect E. G. Trobridge. St Matthias started as a mission church in 1905. Its permanent building was opened in 1934 and rebuilt 1971-3. Colindale infants’ school was started in Colindeep Lane in 1921, with a new building constructed in Woodfield Avenue in 1933. In September of 1940 Colindale tube station and the Newpaper Library (rebuilt 1957) were bombed, and the site was visited by George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the late Queen Mother. The V1 flying bombs hit Colindale Hospital on 1 July 1944 killing four members of the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force.

Places of interest include the British Library newspaper depository, the Royal Air Force Museum, Barnet College, and the Peel Centre (better known as Hendon Police College).

A small brook, a tributary of the River Brent called the Silk Stream, runs north to south. Here also is the Grahame Park Estate, built on the former Hendon Aerodrome.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Bald Faced Stag
TUM image id: 1041
RAF Museum
TUM image id: 1094
Stag Lane Aerodrome
TUM image id: 3181
Schweppes Factory
TUM image id: 10002
Roe Green
TUM image id: 10004
Silk Bridge
TUM image id: 10005
West Hendon from above
TUM image id: 1489498601
The Plough - reputedly 800 years old
TUM image id: 1517936032
The Edgware Road in Colindale
TUM image id: 1517936686
Silk Stream near Colindale (1916)
TUM image id: 1517938166
Welsh Harp
Credit: Unknown
TUM image id: 1534456927
Print-friendly version of this page