Sunnyside Terrace, NW9

Road in/near Colindale

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.59631 -0.25298) 

Sunnyside Terrace, NW9

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Colindale · NW9 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Sunnyside Terrace is a street in Kingsbury.




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Colindale Colindale is an area of north London lying to the northwest of Hendon.

NEARBY STREETS
Aeroville, NW9 Aeroville is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Annesley Avenue, NW9 Annesley Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Barnhill Road, NW9 Barnhill Road is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Beverley Drive, NW9 Beverley Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Blundell Road, NW9 Blundell Road is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Booth Road, NW9 Booth Road is a street in Kingsbury.
Bristol Avenue, NW9 Bristol Avenue is one of the main roads of Grahame Park.
Broadview, NW9 Broadview is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Cecil Road, NW9 Cecil Road is a street in Kingsbury.
Charcot Road, NW9 Charcot Road is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Chequers Close, NW9 Chequers Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Cherry Close, NW9 Cherry Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Colindale Avenue, NW9 Colindale Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Comet, NW9 Comet is a street in Kingsbury.
Coningsby Avenue, NW9 Coningsby Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Cottenham Drive, NW9 Cottenham Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Douglas, NW9 Douglas is a street in Kingsbury.
Eagle Drive, NW9 Eagle Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Ember Court, NW9 Ember Court is a street in Kingsbury.
European Business Centre, NW9 European Business Centre is a street in Kingsbury.
Falcon Way, NW9 Falcon Way is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Ferndene, NW9 Ferndene is a street in Kingsbury.
Five Acre, NW9 Five Acre is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Galy, NW9 Galy is a street in Kingsbury.
Greenway Gardens, NW9 Greenway Gardens is a street in Kingsbury.
Gresswell, NW9 Gresswell is a street in Kingsbury.
Harrier Road, NW9 Harrier Road is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Hazel Close, NW9 Hazel Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Holmstall Avenue, NW9 Holmstall Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Hudson, NW9 Hudson is a street in Kingsbury.
Joslin Avenue, NW9 Joslin Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Kenley Avenue, NW9 Kenley Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Kent Court, NW9 Kent Court is a street in Kingsbury.
Kestrel Close, NW9 Kestrel Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Lingard Avenue, NW9 Lingard Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Martynside, NW9 Martynside is a street in Kingsbury.
Moineau, NW9 Moineau is a street in Kingsbury.
Montrose Avenue, NW9 Montrose Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Mornington Close, NW9 Mornington Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Mount Drive, NW9 Mount Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Pasteur Close, NW9 Pasteur Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Portman Gardens, NW9 Portman Gardens is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Randall, NW9 Randall is a street in Kingsbury.
Rankin Close, NW9 Rankin Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Raven Close, NW9 Raven Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Stonecrop Close, NW9 Stonecrop Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Swan Drive, NW9 Swan Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Tangmere Way, NW9 Tangmere Way is a street in Kingsbury.
The Greenway, NW9 The Greenway is a street in Kingsbury.
The Mall, NW9 The Mall is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Valentine, NW9 Valentine is a street in Kingsbury.
Wingfield Children Family Centre, NW9 Wingfield Children Family Centre is a street in Kingsbury.


Colindale

Colindale is an area of north London lying to the northwest of Hendon.

Formerly in the borough and ancient parish of Hendon, Colindale was essentially the dale between Mill Hill and Burroughs. By the middle of the 20th century, it had come to include that part of the Edgware Road between The Hyde, and Burnt Oak.

The area is named after a 16th century family of the same name. Until the 20th century Collindale, was without any buildings save for a large house called Collindale Lodge, Collindale Farm, and a few cottages. (A spelling with two L’s has been used, as on this printed in 1873.) All of these properties were on Collindeep Lane, which had in the medieval period been an alternative route out of London (via Hampstead, Golders Green, and Hendon) to the Edgware Road. By the end of the 16th century it was not often used as a main road, and by the middle part of the 19th century was called Ancient Street.

By the end of the 19th century cheap land prices made Colindale attractive to developers. Colindale Hospital was started in 1898 as an asylum for the long term sick of central London, and The Government Lymph Establishment for making vaccines was built in 1907. By 1996 the majority of the hospital was closed, and at present lies mostly derelict. In 1902 the British Museum built a new depository, and kept the newspaper collection there from 1934.

Garstin’s Ltd established a trunk factory in 1901, as well as a row of cottages called Leatherville, as such they constitute the first manufacturer in the Collindale. By 1914 there was already housing between Colindale Avenue and Annesley avenues mostly to house the workers of these endeavours. Immediately after the First World War a number of other manufacturing companies came to Colindale. Franco Illuminated Signs came to Aerodrome Road in 1922. They made their money making the lights for the Franco British Exhibition (1909), from which they took their name (later abbreviated to Franco). They were best known for the neon signs to be found in Piccadilly from the 1920s to the 1970s. Frigidaire started in a wooden shack in Aerodrome Road, employing 11 people in 1923, and selling the first automatic household fridges in England. The reason why many of these and other companies chose Colindale was that there was land available for expansion. However by 1923 the tube railway reached Colindale, land prices increased and factory expansion was not realisable. A number of industries looked elsewhere for premises. In 1931 Fridgdaire, for example, decided to build a new manufacturing plant on the Edgware Road and had moved its entire operations there by 1946.

Colindale station opened on 18 August 1924 on what was then the Hampstead and Highgate Line as the first station on the second section of the Underground’s extension to Edgware.

After the station opened suburban development was rapid, and by 1939 much of the western side was semi-detached housing. Typical is the Colin Park Estate built by F. H. Stucke & Co, built around Colindeep Lane (1927). A number of the houses on this estate are by the architect E. G. Trobridge. St Matthias started as a mission church in 1905. Its permanent building was opened in 1934 and rebuilt 1971-3. Colindale infants’ school was started in Colindeep Lane in 1921, with a new building constructed in Woodfield Avenue in 1933. In September of 1940 Colindale tube station and the Newpaper Library (rebuilt 1957) were bombed, and the site was visited by George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the late Queen Mother. The V1 flying bombs hit Colindale Hospital on 1 July 1944 killing four members of the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force.

Places of interest include the British Library newspaper depository, the Royal Air Force Museum, Barnet College, and the Peel Centre (better known as Hendon Police College).

A small brook, a tributary of the River Brent called the Silk Stream, runs north to south. Here also is the Grahame Park Estate, built on the former Hendon Aerodrome.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Schweppes Factory
TUM image id: 1034
Roe Green
TUM image id: 1036
Silk Bridge
TUM image id: 1037
Bald Faced Stag
TUM image id: 1041
RAF Museum
TUM image id: 1094
West Hendon from above
TUM image id: 1489498601
Featherstone Farm (1909)
TUM image id: 1517934317
The Plough - reputedly 800 years old
TUM image id: 1517936032
The Edgware Road in Colindale
TUM image id: 1517936686
Silk Stream near Colindale (1916)
TUM image id: 1517938166
Print-friendly version of this page