Not a zebra crossing in sight.
DLR station is built on the original route of the Eastern Counties and Thames Junction Railway which opened between Stratford
and Canning Town stations in 1846. The line became part of what is now known as the North London Line in 1979. The Eastern Counties and Thames Junction Railway had four tracks over this section of route. The western pair were redeveloped as part of an extension to the London Underground’s Jubilee Line in 1999 and the eastern pair, which carried the North London Line service, were cut back at Stratford
in 2006. The tracks were converted for use as part of the Docklands Light Railway.
The area between Canning Town and Stratford
has been identified for major regeneration and new development as part of the Lower Lea Valley. The street that it serves is named after the nearby Stratford
The station is nowhere near the other, better-known Abbey Road
of Beatles fame, with the celebrated zebra crossing near St John’s Wood tube station. Signs directing travellers to the right station are posted, complete with references to The Beatles’ hits.