Poplar was a local government district in London. It was formed as a district of the Metropolis in 1855 and became a metropolitan borough in the County of London in 1900.
Poplar Town Hall stood in Bow Road and was designed by Culpin & Son in 1937. It is now a listed building.
In 1921, the Borough Council led by George Lansbury, and the Poor Law Union were engaged in a dispute with the London County Council over poor law rates. The Borough wished to pay out of work people more than usually permitted and get wealthier West End boroughs to contribute. Several councillors were imprisoned briefly in relation to this.
In 1951 Poplar was chosen to be the site of the ’Exhibition of Live Architecture’. The East End had been heavily bombed and its reconstruction was showcased by the new Lansbury Estate.
User unknown/public domain
Canary Wharf Canary Wharf is a large business development on the Isle of Dogs, centred on the old West India Docks. Museum of London Docklands The Museum of London Docklands, based in an 1802 warehouse, tells the history of London’s River Thames and the growth of the Docklands. St Matthias Old Church St Matthias Old Church is the modern name given to the Poplar Chapel built by the East India Company in 1654. Tower Hamlets College Tower Hamlets College is a large further education and a constituent college of New City College. 1 Cabot Square 1 Cabot Square (also known as the Credit Suisse building) is a 21 floor office building occupied by Credit Suisse in the Canary Wharf development. 1 West India Quay, E14 1 West India Quay is a skyscraper designed by HOK in the Docklands area which was completed in 2004. Bank Street, E14 Bank Street is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Cabot Place, E14 Cabot Place is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Cabot Square, E14 Cabot Square is one of the central squares of the Canary Wharf Development. Canada Place, E14 Canada Place is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Canary Wharf, E14 Canary Wharf is a location rather than a road but one which has addresses assigned to it. Cannon Drive, E14 Cannon Drive is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Castor Lane, E14 Castor Lane is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Heron Quay, E14 Heron Quay is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Mackrow Walk, E14 Mackrow Walk is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Nash Court, E14 Nash Court is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Park Place, E14 Park Place is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Wades Place, E14 Wades Place is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area.
Canary Wharf is a large business development on the Isle of Dogs, centred on the old West India Docks.Canary Wharf
was the site of cargo warehouses that served the docks based in London E14, taking its name from sea trade with the Canary Islands. The docks were, as recently as 1961, the busiest in the world but fell into declie after containerisation.
The project to revitalise eight square miles of derelict London docks began in 1981 with the establishment of the London Docklands Development Corporation. At first, redevelopment was focused on light industrial schemes and Canary Wharf
’s largest occupier was Limehouse Studios, a TV production company.
In 1984, Michael von Clem, head of the investment bank Credit Suisse First Boston, was visiting the Docklands looking for a site for a client’s food processing plant and noticed that there was empty land. Thinking of relocating City of London offices, von Clem contacted his opposite number at Morgan Stanley who said that a large scheme with critical mass would be necessary. It was also agreed that a new Tube line would be required to make the scheme viable.
Canadian developer Olympia and York bought the project idea. Critically, Olympia and York agreed to meet 50% of the proposed cost of an extension to the Jubilee Line. Construction of Canary Wharf
began in 1988 with phase one completed in 1992.
The property market collapsed in the early 1990s. Tenant demand evaporated and the Jubilee Line work had not started as Olympia & York collapsed. The scheme went into administration. For a while it seemed that Canary Wharf
would be a white elephant, accessible only by the Docklands Light Railway.
In December 1995, an international consortium backed by the former owners of Olympia & York bought the scheme. At this time its working population was around 13 000 and over half the office space was empty. Probably the critical event in the recovery of Canary Wharf
was the much-delayed start of work on the Jubilee Line, which the government wanted ready for the Millennium celebrations. From this point, potential tenants began to see Canary Wharf
as a alternative to traditional office locations. The remaining phases were completed and new phases were built.
is now very successful with tenants including major banks and news media firms. Jubilee Place
opened as a shopping mall in 2004.
The immediate impact of Canary Wharf
was to raise land values in the surrounding area.
is now connected to central London via the Canary Wharf
DLR station, opened in 1991, and the extension of the Jubilee Line to Canary Wharf
tube station, opened in 2000. A river boat service from Canary Waterside connects Canary Wharf
to the City of London and Greenwich.