The Burroughs, now simply a road, referred to a hamlet until the 1890s.
The name from 1316 - its first mention - until the 19th century was spelled as ’the burrows’, and may refer to a place of rabbits.
The White Bear Inn existed from the 16th century and had this name from 1736. By 1697 the inn was the location for Hendon’s Whitsun fair. Here at the inn, the ’leet courts’, based on feudal tradition, were held as late as 1916, to ensure the rights of the Lord of the Manor.
From 1735 until 1934 a poorhouse with six cottages used to house older parishioners stood where Quadrant Close was built in 1936. The Poor Law workhouse ceased to be operational when ’Hendon Union Workhouse’ opened in 1835, in what was then ’Red Hill’ and is now Burnt Oak. With the foundation of a Local Board in 1879, the buildings were later used as offices.
Grove House, built before 1753, was a private psychiatric hospital between 1900 and 1933. The grounds became a public park.
A new Town Hall was built in 1901 from designs by T. H. Watson. It is used for virtually all borough-wide committee meetings of the London Borough of Barnet. Next to the town hall is Hendon Library, built in 1929 to designs by T. M. Wilson. It was considerably rebuilt internally during 1972-3 and 2003-4. Eileen Colwell, the pioneer children’s librarian worked at Hendon in the 1930s.
Hendon’s first proper fire station (1914) was built to designs by A. Welch, and superseded another close by in Church End
Between 1937 and 1939, the Middlesex County Council built ’Hendon Technical Institute’. It is now part of Middlesex University.