Print-friendly version of this page
Grove Farm changed usage between a farm and a house before being overwhelmed by suburbia.
By 1754 there were about 16 houses with small gardens at Golders Green
, most of them on small inclosures from the waste. In 1814 Golders Green
contained ’many ornamental villas and cottages, surrounded with plantations’, and in 1828 detached houses spread on both sides of the road as far as Brent bridge. Grove Farm - or Grove House - was one of these.
The villas in their wooded grounds, which gave Golders Green
its special character, disappeared rapidly with the growth of suburban housing after the extension of the Underground.
The name of the building was preserved in the road name The Grove
which was built over the top of the original house.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Plough with horses
User unknown/public domain
Grove Farm Grove Farm changed usage between a farm and a house before being overwhelmed by suburbia. Heruka Buddhist Centre Heruka Kadampa Meditation Centre (KMC) is the main New Kadampa Tradition Buddhist Centre for north & central London. Golders Green Road, NW11 Golders Green Road - known by many other names too during its history - lies along an ancient road from London to Hendon.
Golders Green was a rural hamlet at the crossroads of Finchley Road and North End Road until the arrival of the tube in 1907.
Golders Green station was opened by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR, now part of the Northern Line) on 22 June 1907. It was one of the railway's two northern terminals (the other being at Archway) and was also the site of the railway's depot.
Before World War I plans were made to extend the CCE&HR north from Golders Green to Hendon and Edgware to open up new areas of the Middlesex countryside to development and to create a source of new passengers. The war postponed the construction of the extension and work did not begin until 12 June 1922. The first section of the extension, as far as Hendon Central opened on 19 November 1923.