Shirland Road, W9
Road in/near Maida Hill, existing between 1869 and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Shirland Road is one of the main thorughfares of Maida Vale
By 1869 there were houses along much of Chippenham
Road and at the west ends of Elgin Road, where St. Peter's church had been allotted its existing site, Marylands Road
, and Sutherland Gardens.
All three roads led towards Shirland Road, which approximately followed the line of the Bayswater or Westbourne stream. There were houses on the west side of Shirland Road, at the south end, by 1870.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Orme's Green Ormes Green was the former name for this part of Westbourne Park. The Windsor Castle The Windsor Castle dates from the 1820s but its main incarnation was as a classic Victorian public house, seminal in 1970s musical history. Amberley Mews, W9 Amberley Mews starred as Tom Riley’s home in the 1950 movie "The Blue Lamp". Ascot House, W9 Ascot House was built as part of the GLC’s small Windsor estate. Clearwell Drive, W9 Clearwell Drive is a newer street, roughly built over the line of the former Amberley Mews. Elgin Avenue, W9 Elgin Avenue was proposed in an 1827 plan for the area by John Gutch. Goldney Road, W9 Goldney Road was built around 1860 on land which was once the property of Westminster Abbey. Great Western Road, W9 Great Western Road’s northernmost section was created after a bridge was constructed over the canal. Harrow Road, W9 Harrow Road is a main road running through Paddington, Willesden and beyond. Kilburn Park Road, NW6 Kilburn Park Road was built along the course of the Bayswater Rivulet (the River Westbourne), starting in 1855 Walterton Road, W9 Walterton Road was the central road of a suburb which was originally proposed to called St. Peter’s Park.
Maida Hill's name derives from the Hero of Maida inn which used to be on Edgware Road near the Regent's Canal.
The pub was named after General Sir John Stuart who was made Count of Maida by King Ferdinand IV of Naples and Sicily after the victory at the Battle of Maida in 1806. Previously the fields here had been the highest part of Paddington at 120 feet above sea level and called "Hill House Fields".
By 1810 the locality was being marked as ‘Maida’ on maps. The Maida Hill tunnel, begun in 1812, was the first canal tunnel to be built in London and is the second longest. Its route had to be altered to avoid the Portman estate, which had refused passage through its property.
The part of Edgware Road immediately north of the Regent’s Canal was subsequently called Maida Hill, and later Maida Hill East, while modern Little Venice was formerly Maida Hill West. The whole name then migrated west and renamed an area previously known as St Peter’s Park.
Modern Maida Hill is bounded to the north and east by Shirland Road, in the west by Walterton Road
with the Regent's Canal to the south.
The name had fallen out of use but, in the mid 2000s, the 414 bus route revived the name as its destination on Shirland Road. Then a new street market on the Piazza at the junction of Elgin Avenue
and Harrow Road
deened itself in Maida Hill.