Uphill Grove, NW7

Road in/near Mill Hill

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.62058 -0.24655) 

Uphill Grove, NW7

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Mill Hill · NW7 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Uphill Grove is a street in Mill Hill.




NEARBY STREETS
Austell Gardens, NW7 Austell Gardens is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Birkbeck Road, NW7 Birkbeck Road is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Clarence Court, NW7 Clarence Court is a street in Mill Hill.
Croft Close, NW7 Croft Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Foxwood Close, NW7 Foxwood Close is a street in Mill Hill.
Green Avenue, NW7 Green Avenue is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Lawrence Avenue, NW7 Lawrence Avenue is a street in Mill Hill.
Lawrence Court, NW7 Lawrence Court is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Millway, NW7 Millway is a street in Mill Hill.
Newcombe Park, NW7 Newcombe Park is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Northway Circus, NW7 Northway Circus is a street in Mill Hill.
Northway Crescent, NW7 Northway Crescent is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Reddings Close, NW7 Reddings Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Russell Grove, NW7 Russell Grove is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Sunnyfield, NW7 Sunnyfield is a street in Mill Hill.
Tennyson Road, NW7 Tennyson Road is a street in Mill Hill.
The Reddings, NW7 The Reddings is a street in Mill Hill.
Tretawn Gardens, NW7 Tretawn Gardens is a street in Mill Hill.
Tretawn Park, NW7 Tretawn Park is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Uphill Drive, NW7 Uphill Drive is a street in Mill Hill.
Uphill Road, NW7 Uphill Road is a street in Mill Hill.
Victoria Road, NW7 Victoria Road is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Watford Way, NW7 Watford Way is a street in Mill Hill.
Weymouth Avenue, NW7 Weymouth Avenue is a street in Mill Hill.


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Apex Corner in the 1920s.
TUM image id: 1155
Featherstone Farm (1909)
TUM image id: 1517934317
Print-friendly version of this page