Wellington Buildings, SW1W
Print-friendly version of this page
Wellington Buildings is one of the streets of London in the SW1W postal area.
Austin Road, SW11 Austin Road is one of the streets of London in the SW11 postal area. Avery Farm Row, SW1W Avery Farm Row - after a former farm here of this name, ’Avery’ being a corruption of ’Ebury’. Beeston Place, SW1W Beeston Place was formerly part of the Grosvenor family estate and the family owned land in Beeston, Cheshire. Belgrave Square, SW1X Thomas Cubitt’s greatest achievement, Belgrave Square, is the grandest and largest of his squares, and is the centrepiece of Belgravia. Cadogan Place, SW1X Cadogan Place was named after Earl Cadogan and runs parallel to the lower half of Sloane Street. Chapel Street, SW1X Chapel Street runs south-west to north-east from Belgrave Square to Grosvenor Place. Chester Row, SW1W Chester Row with its tall stucco houses lies at the heart of the district of Belgravia. Chester Square, SW1W Chester Square was voted London’s second best house address early in the 2000s. Nearby Eaton Square was voted first. Dove Walk, SW1W Dove Walk is one of the streets of London in the SW1W postal area. Eaton Gate, SW1W Eaton Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW1W postal area. Ebury Square, SW1W In contrast with much of Belgravia’s planned building, Edbury Square developed as a result of London’s natural expansion. Ebury Street, SW1W Ebury Street runs from the Grosvenor Gardens junction south-westwards to Pimlico Road. Groom Place, SW1X Groom Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Hugh Street, SW1V Hugh Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Ingate Place, SW8 Ingate Place is one of the streets of London in the SW8 postal area. Kinnerton Street, SW1X Kinnerton Street - a small winding street - was originally the service road for Wilton Place and Wilton Crescent. Lucas Court, SW11 Lucas Court is one of the streets of London in the SW11 postal area. Peabody Avenue, SW1V Peabody Avenue, completed in 1885, is a monument to the birth of social housing. Pimlico Road, SW1W Pimlico Road is a combination of roads formerly called Grosvenor Row and Queen Street. Pont Street, SW1X Pont Street is a fashionable street in Knightsbridge/Belgravia, not far from the Knightsbridge department store Harrods to the north-west. Sloane Square, SW1W Sloane Square forms a boundary between the two largest aristocratic estates in London, the Grosvenor Estate and the Cadogan. Sopwith Way, SW8 Sopwith Way is one of the streets of London in the SW8 postal area. The Pavilion, SW8 The Pavilion is one of the streets of London in the SW8 postal area. Victoria Square, SW1W Victoria Square, a small residential square, lies on land forming part of the Grosvenor Estate to the south of the Royal Mews. William Mews, SW1X William Mews is a partially redeveloped, private Mews off Lowndes Square. Wilton Crescent, SW1X Wilton Crescent is notable for its affluent and politically important list of residents, present and historic. Wilton Mews, SW1X Wilton Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.