Coleherne House once stood on the corner of Brompton Lane (later Brompton Road) and Walnut Tree Lane (now Redcliffe Gardens
Coleherne House dates from the 1600s and might have originally been known as Cold Barn House. There were many owners over the years including the poet Richard Blackmore lived there in 1700s. By the time of the turn of the nineteenth century, it was in the hands of William Bolton who also may have rebuilt the house.Licence:
Certainly the following owner, Philip Gilbert built another property in the grounds of Coleherne House in 1815, called it 'Hereford House' and went off to live in it until he left in 1838.
James Gunter bought both Coleherne House and Hereford House in 1864, leasing Coleherne to Edmund Tattersall, an auctioneer, from 1865. Tattersall fell ill at Newmarket races in 1898.
After his death, both Coleherne House and Hereford House were demolished.
In their place, Coleherne Court - a large apartment block, was built. This was the final home of Lady Diana Spencer before she married Prince Charles in 1981.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Colherne House, 19th century
Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea collection
Coleherne House Coleherne House once stood on the corner of Brompton Lane (later Brompton Road) and Walnut Tree Lane (now Redcliffe Gardens). Earl's Court Farm Earl’s Court Farm is pictured here as it was in 1867, before the opening of the underground station two years later. The Bentley London The Bentley London is a luxury hotel located at 27-33 Harrington Gardens in South Kensington. Bina Gardens, SW5 Bina Gardens is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Farnell Mews, SW5 Farnell Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Hesper Mews, SW5 Hesper Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Hogarth Road, SW5 Hogarth Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Kramer Mews, SW5 Kramer Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Nevern Place, SW5 Nevern Place is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Redcliffe Gardens, SW10 Redcliffe Gardens began life as Walnut Tree Walk, a pathway running through nurseries and market gardens. Roxby Place, SW6 Roxby Place is one of the streets of London in the SW6 postal area. Seymour Walk, SW10 Seymour Walk was almost entirely built between the 1790s-1820s in an area then known as Little Chelsea. Spear Mews, SW5 Spear Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. The Boltons, SW10 The Boltons is one of the streets of London in the SW10 postal area. The Little Boltons, SW10 The Little Boltons - originally called "The Grove" - connects Old Brompton Road with Tregunter Road. The Mansions, SW5 The Mansions is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Tregunter Road, SW10 Development began at the east end of Tregunter Road in 1851 and was complete by 1866 at the west end. Warwick Road, SW5 Warwick Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area.
Chelsea is an affluent area, bounded to the south by the River Thames.
Its eastern boundary was once defined by the River Westbourne, which is now in a pipe above Sloane Square tube station. The modern eastern boundary is Chelsea Bridge Road and the lower half of Sloane Street, including Sloane Square, along with parts of Belgravia. To the north and northwest, the area fades into Knightsbridge and South Kensington, but it is safe to say that the area north of King’s Road as far northwest as Fulham Road is part of Chelsea.
The word Chelsea originates from the Old English term for chalk
and landing place on the river
. The first record of the Manor of Chelsea precedes the Domesday Book and records the fact that Thurstan, governor of the King’s Palace during the reign of Edward the Confessor (1042–1066), gave the land to the Abbot and Convent of Westminster. Abbot Gervace subsequently assigned the manor to his mother, and it passed into private ownership. The modern-day Chelsea hosted the Synod of Chelsea in 787 AD.
Chelsea once had a reputation for the manufacture of Chelsea buns (made from a long strip of sweet dough tightly coiled, with currants trapped between the layers, and topped with sugar).
King Henry VIII acquired the manor of Chelsea from Lord Sandys in 1536; Chelsea Manor Street is still extant. Two of King Henry’s wives, Catherine Parr and Anne of Cleves, lived in the Manor House; Princess Elizabeth – the future Queen Elizabeth I – resided there; and Thomas More lived more or less next door at Beaufort House. In 1609 James I established a theological college on the site of the future Chelsea Royal Hospital, which Charles II founded in 1682.
By 1694, Chelsea – always a popular location for the wealthy, and once described as ’a village of palaces’ – had a population of 3000. Even so, Chelsea remained rural and served London to the east as a market garden, a trade that continued until the 19th-century development boom which caused the final absorption of the district into the metropolis.
Chelsea shone, brightly but briefly, in the 1960s Swinging London period and the early 1970s. The Swinging Sixties was defined on King’s Road, which runs the length of the area. The Western end of Chelsea featured boutiques Granny Takes a Trip and The Sweet Shop, the latter of which sold medieval silk velvet caftans, tabards and floor cushions, with many of the cultural cognoscenti of the time being customers, including Keith Richards, Twiggy and many others.
The exclusivity of Chelsea as a result of its high property prices has historically resulted in the term Sloane Ranger to be used to describe its residents. From 2011, Channel 4 broadcast a reality television show called Made in Chelsea
, documenting the ’glitzy’ lives of several young people living in Chelsea. Moreover, Chelsea is home to one of the largest communities of Americans living outside of the United States, with 6.53% of Chelsea-residents being born in the United States.