Print-friendly version of this page
Roundwood Farm lay between Willesden and Harlesden.
As the area began to develop, a road which later became Longstone Avenue
was built up to the farm.
The farm sold four of its fields on the opposite side of the avenue to the Gladstone Park project.
The rest of the farmlands were urbanised, though the track down to the farmhouse still forms a short cul-de-sac.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Roundwood Park, just as it opened.
Burnley Road, NW10 Burnley Road runs parallel with the tracks of the Metropolitan/Jubilee line, to the north of them. Stephenson Street, NW10 Stephenson Street was built in 1889 by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) for its employees.
Former location of the National Athletic Grounds
Kensal Rise railway station opened in 1873 as Kensal Green, replacing Kensal Green & Harlesden railway station which opened in 1861 at the crossing of Green Lane (later Wrottesley Road
), lying in between the present station and Willesden Junction. The present station was renamed Kensal Rise in 1890.
The names Kensal Green and Kensal Rise are used somewhat interchangeably by non-residents to denote the same district, although residents differentiate between the areas based on proximity to the local tube and railway stations.
Roughly speaking, the area west of Chamberlayne Road, north of Harrow Road and south of Kensal Rise railway station is considered Kensal Green while that to the east of Chamberlayne Road and north of the station is considered Kensal Rise. These boundaries are by no means fixed however and some residents are known to use both terms with little regard for geographical accuracy.