Wilberforce Road, NW9

Road in/near Colindale

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.58337 -0.2415) 

Wilberforce Road, NW9

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Colindale · NW9 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Wilberforce Road is a street in Kingsbury.




NEARBY STREETS
Admiral Court, NW4 Admiral Court is a building on Barton Close.
Barton Close, NW4 Barton Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Colin Drive, NW9 Colin Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Colin Gardens, NW9 Colin Gardens is a street in Kingsbury.
Colindeep Gardens, NW4 Colindeep Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Crossway, NW9 Crossway is a street in Kingsbury.
Deerfield Close, NW9 Deerfield Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Edgeworth Avenue, NW4 Edgeworth Avenue is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Edgeworth Close, NW4 Edgeworth Close is a street in Hendon.
Edgeworth Crescent, NW4 Edgeworth Crescent is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Endersleigh Gardens, NW4 Endersleigh Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Faber Gardens, NW4 Faber Gardens is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Gadsbury Close, NW9 Gadsbury Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Garrick Road, NW9 Garrick Road is a street in Kingsbury.
Goldsmith Avenue, NW9 Goldsmith Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Hillfield Avenue, NW9 Hillfield Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Hollyview Close, NW4 Hollyview Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Hyde Crescent, NW9 Hyde Crescent is a street in Kingsbury.
Hyde Estate Road, NW9 Hyde Estate Road is a street in Kingsbury.
Hyde House, NW9 Residential block
Irving Way, NW9 Irving Way is a street in Kingsbury.
Malcolm Crescent, NW4 Malcolm Crescent is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Montagu Road, NW4 Montagu Road is a street in Hendon.
Ramsay Road, NW9 Ramsay Road was the northernmost of a series of disappeared streets in West Hendon.
Ramsey Close, NW9 Ramsey Close consists of two storey semi-detached houses built in the 1980s.
Reets Farm Close, NW9 Reets Farm Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Rookery Close, NW9 Rookery Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Rookery Way, NW9 Rookery Way is a street in Kingsbury.
Russell Road, NW9 Russell Road is a street in Kingsbury.
Scottwell Drive, NW9 Scottwell Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Silkfield Road, NW9 Silkfield Road is a road in the NW9 postcode area
St Matthias Close, NW9 St Matthias Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Station Road, NW4 Station Road led from the centre of Hendon village to its first station and to the Edgware Road.
Talbot Crescent, NW4 Talbot Crescent is a street in Hendon.
The Hyde Industrial Estate, NW9 The Hyde Industrial Estate is a street in Kingsbury.
The Hyde, NW9 The Hyde is a street in Kingsbury.
Vaughan Avenue, NW4 Vaughan Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Woodward Avenue, NW4 Woodward Avenue is a street in Hendon.


Colindale

Colindale is an area of north London lying to the northwest of Hendon.

Formerly in the borough and ancient parish of Hendon, Colindale was essentially the dale between Mill Hill and Burroughs. By the middle of the 20th century, it had come to include that part of the Edgware Road between The Hyde, and Burnt Oak.

The area is named after a 16th century family of the same name. Until the 20th century Collindale, was without any buildings save for a large house called Collindale Lodge, Collindale Farm, and a few cottages. (A spelling with two L’s has been used, as on this printed in 1873.) All of these properties were on Collindeep Lane, which had in the medieval period been an alternative route out of London (via Hampstead, Golders Green, and Hendon) to the Edgware Road. By the end of the 16th century it was not often used as a main road, and by the middle part of the 19th century was called Ancient Street.

By the end of the 19th century cheap land prices made Colindale attractive to developers. Colindale Hospital was started in 1898 as an asylum for the long term sick of central London, and The Government Lymph Establishment for making vaccines was built in 1907. By 1996 the majority of the hospital was closed, and at present lies mostly derelict. In 1902 the British Museum built a new depository, and kept the newspaper collection there from 1934.

Garstin’s Ltd established a trunk factory in 1901, as well as a row of cottages called Leatherville, as such they constitute the first manufacturer in the Collindale. By 1914 there was already housing between Colindale Avenue and Annesley avenues mostly to house the workers of these endeavours. Immediately after the First World War a number of other manufacturing companies came to Colindale. Franco Illuminated Signs came to Aerodrome Road in 1922. They made their money making the lights for the Franco British Exhibition (1909), from which they took their name (later abbreviated to Franco). They were best known for the neon signs to be found in Piccadilly from the 1920s to the 1970s. Frigidaire started in a wooden shack in Aerodrome Road, employing 11 people in 1923, and selling the first automatic household fridges in England. The reason why many of these and other companies chose Colindale was that there was land available for expansion. However by 1923 the tube railway reached Colindale, land prices increased and factory expansion was not realisable. A number of industries looked elsewhere for premises. In 1931 Fridgdaire, for example, decided to build a new manufacturing plant on the Edgware Road and had moved its entire operations there by 1946.

Colindale station opened on 18 August 1924 on what was then the Hampstead and Highgate Line as the first station on the second section of the Underground’s extension to Edgware.

After the station opened suburban development was rapid, and by 1939 much of the western side was semi-detached housing. Typical is the Colin Park Estate built by F. H. Stucke & Co, built around Colindeep Lane (1927). A number of the houses on this estate are by the architect E. G. Trobridge. St Matthias started as a mission church in 1905. Its permanent building was opened in 1934 and rebuilt 1971-3. Colindale infants’ school was started in Colindeep Lane in 1921, with a new building constructed in Woodfield Avenue in 1933. In September of 1940 Colindale tube station and the Newpaper Library (rebuilt 1957) were bombed, and the site was visited by George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the late Queen Mother. The V1 flying bombs hit Colindale Hospital on 1 July 1944 killing four members of the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force.

Places of interest include the British Library newspaper depository, the Royal Air Force Museum, Barnet College, and the Peel Centre (better known as Hendon Police College).

A small brook, a tributary of the River Brent called the Silk Stream, runs north to south. Here also is the Grahame Park Estate, built on the former Hendon Aerodrome.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Hendon Central circus
TUM image id: 1025
Schweppes Factory
TUM image id: 1034
Silk Bridge
TUM image id: 1037
Hendon Greyhound Stadium
TUM image id: 1060
RAF Museum
TUM image id: 1094
Oxgate Farm
TUM image id: 1129
Brent Sidings
TUM image id: 2374
Hendon Central Circus (1928)
TUM image id: 1489498245
Hendon Central (1923)
TUM image id: 1489498425
West Hendon from above
TUM image id: 1489498601
The Edgware Road in Colindale
TUM image id: 1517936686
Silk Stream near Colindale (1916)
TUM image id: 1517938166
Print-friendly version of this page