Winchester Street, SW1V
Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before
Print-friendly version of this page
Winchester Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area.
Alderney Street, SW1V Alderney Street was originally Stanley Street, after George Stanley, local landowner. Avery Farm Row, SW1W Avery Farm Row - after a former farm here of this name, ’Avery’ being a corruption of ’Ebury’. Dells Mews, SW1V Dells Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Dove Walk, SW1W Dove Walk is one of the streets of London in the SW1W postal area. Ebury Square, SW1W In contrast with much of Belgravia’s planned building, Edbury Square developed as a result of London’s natural expansion. Hugh Street, SW1V Hugh Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Peabody Avenue, SW1V Peabody Avenue, completed in 1885, is a monument to the birth of social housing. Rivermill, SW1V Rivermill is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. The Arcade, SW1V The Arcade is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area. Warwick Way, SW1V Warwick Way is one of the streets of London in the SW1V postal area.
Belgravia is an affluent area of Westminster, north of Victoria Station.
Belgravia - known as Five Fields during the Middle Ages - was developed in the early 19th century by Richard Grosvenor, 2nd Marquess of Westminster.
The area had begun to be built up after George III moved to Buckingham House (now Buckingham Palace) and constructed a row of houses on what is now Grosvenor Place. In the 1820s, Richard Grosvenor asked Thomas Cubitt to design numerous grand terraces centred on squares. Most of Belgravia was constructed over the next 30 years.
Belgravia has many grand terraces of white stucco houses, and is focused on two squares: Belgrave Square and Eaton Square.
Much of Belgravia is still owned by the Duke of Westminster’s Grosvenor Group.