Print-friendly version of this page Hampstead Cricket Club
moved to its Lymington Road
site in 1877.
Cricket had been played in Hampstead for a long time before this ground was leased from the lord of the manor. A pavilion was built in 1879 and was replaced by a large clubhouse after the freehold had been bought in 1924. Hampstead Cricket Club
limited its numbers to 200 full and 50 lawn tennis members in 1880.
It was considered the most important of the local recreative clubs by 1890, having already witnessed the highest score yet made, and in 1949 was claimed to have produced more fine players than any other noncounty club in England.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Hampstead Cricket Club
Canterbury House In the last half of the nineteenth century, a white house called Canterbury was built on the then southern fringes of West End. Cedars A local West Hampstead builder, Thomas Potter, constructed Cedars in 1878. Cholmley Lodge Cholmley Lodge, a two storeyed stuccoed house, was built in 1813. Cock and Hoop The Cock and Hoop Inn was standing on the corner of West End Lane and Fortune Green Road by 1723. Decca Studios Decca Studios was a recording facility in Broadhurst Gardens. Finchley Road Finchley Road is on the Jubilee line, between West Hampstead and Swiss Cottage and on the Metropolitan line between Baker Street and Wembley Park. Flitcroft Flitcroft was a 50 acre estate at Fortune Green and West End, named after its owner in the 18th century. Frognal Bridge Where Frognal meets the Finchley Road, there is an indiscernible dip... Hampstead tunnel Hampstead Tunnel, 1166 yards long, was built as part of the Hampstead Junction Railway, and opened on 2 January 1860. Hillfield By 1644 Hillfield was already mentioned in parish records. Jacksfield Jacksfield was one of the smaller but well-documented copyhold estates in the West Hampstead area. Lauriston Lodge Lauriston Lodge, now the site of Dene Mansions, was a large house in West Hampstead. Piecemeal building The infant River Westbourne crossed, what in 1900, was still a boggy field. Poplar House Poplar House was occupied by one of the first developers of West Hampstead, Thomas Potter. Potter’s Iron Foundry In the nineteenth century, many West Hampstead people had jobs in Potter’s Iron Foundry. Ripley House Jeremy Jepson Ripley built a house and coach house after 1814, with a large garden north of Lauriston Lodge. River Westbourne The easternmost branch of the River Westbourne rises just south of the centre of Hampstead, Sandwell House Sandwell House was owned by three generations of the Wachter family. The Black Lion The Old Black Lion was established in 1751 as a beer house. The Railway The Railway pub is a standard Victorian pub with a musical secret. Thorplands Thorplands was an estate south of Mill Lane. Treherne House Treherne House was built in the mid eighteenth century, Two streams meet Somewhere beneath the basement of 16 Frognal, NW3 two tributaries of the River Westbourne meet. University College School University College School, generally known as UCS, is an independent school charity situated in northwest London. West End Hall West End Hall (once called New West End Hall) was one of the mansions of West End (West Hampstead). West End House West End House, once in open countryside, became surrounded by railways. Woodbine Cottage Woodbine Cottage was situated at the south-eastern corner of the Flitcroft estate. Dennington Park Road, NW6 About 1881 Dennington Park Road was constructed on the line of Sweetbriar Walk, the old path to Lauriston Lodge. Frognal Parade, NW3 Frognal Parade is a parade of shops lying beyond Finchley Road and Frognal station. Frognal, NW3 A road called Frognal runs from Church Row in Hampstead downhill to Finchley Road and follows the course of a stream which goes on to form the River Westbourne. Holmdale Road, NW6 Holmdale Road runs from Mill Lane to Dennington Park Road in West Hampstead. Inglewood Road, NW6 Inglewood Road, NW6 was one of the last roads to be built in West End, West Hampstead. Lithos Road, NW3 Lithos Road is a part of the NW3 postal area which lies west of the Finchley Road. St Johns Court, NW6 St Johns Court is a retail and residential block beside Finchley Road station. Welbeck Mansions, NW6 Welbeck Mansions, flats notable for their ironwork balconies, were built north of Inglewood Road in 1897.
Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.