Print-friendly version of this page Middle Row
Bus Garage was situated on the corner of Conlan Street
and Middle Row
The Middle Row
Bus Garage was opened in May 1910 and operated Routemaster buses from the early 1960s, although X-type and AEC RT double-deckers were based there in the earlier decades.
It closed in August 1981, with the vehicles being transferred to the new Westbourne Park garage.
The building is now used as industrial premises and called Buspace Studios.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Middle Row Bus Garage
User unknown/public domain
Acklam Road, W10 Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway Adair Road, W10 Adair Road is a street on the Kensal Town/North Kensington borders. Alperton Street, W10 Alperton Street is the first alphabetically of the named streets of the Queen's Park Estate in W10. Appleford Road, W10 Appleford Road was transformed post-war from a Victorian street to one dominated by housing blocks. Arundel Gardens, W11 Arundel Gardens was built towards the end of the development of the Ladbroke Estate, in the early 1860s. Avondale Park Gardens, W11 Avondale Park Gardens, unlike other roads in the area, was developed in the 1920s when it was laid out on the former workhouse site. Banister Road, W10 Banister Road just scrapes being classed as belonging to the Queen's Park Estate. Blenheim Crescent, W11 Blenheim Crescent one of the major thoroughfares in Notting Hill - indeed it features in the eponymous film. Bosworth Road, W10 Bosworth Road was the first street built as Kensal New Town started to expand to the east. Bramley Mews, W10 Bramley Mews become part of a redelevopment of the area north of Latimer Road station in the 1960s. Bramley Road, W10 Bramley Road is the street in which Latimer Road station is situated. Bruce Close, W10 Bruce Close replaced the earlier Rackham Street in this part of W10. Brunel Mews, W10 Brunel Mews, a tiny cul-de-sac, is the northern extension of Sixth Avenue. Canal Way, W10 Canal Way was built on the site of the Kensal Gas Works. Codrington Mews, W11 This attractive L-shaped mews lies off Blenheim Crescent between Kensington Park Road and Ladbroke Grove. Cornwall Crescent, W11 Cornwall Crescent belongs to the third and final great period of building on the Ladbroke estate and the houses were constructed in the 1860s. Droop Street, W10 Droop Street is one of the main east-west streets of the Queen’s Park Estate. East Row, W10 East Row is a road with a long history within Kensal Town. Elgin Crescent, W11 Elgin Crescent runs from Portobello Road west across Ladbroke Grove and then curls round to the south to join Clarendon Road. Farrant Street, W10 Farrant Street is the missing link in the alphabetti spaghetti of the streetnames of the Queen's Park Estate Golborne Road, W10 Golborne Road, heart of North Kensington, was named after Dean Golbourne, at one time vicar of St. John's Church in Paddington. Hewer Street, W10 Built as part of the St Charles’ estate in the 1870s, it originally between Exmoor Street to a former street called Raymede Street. Huxley Street, W10 Huxley Street is the only street beginning with an H on the Queen’s Park Estate. Kensal House, W10 Kensal House (1936), was designed to show off the power of gas and originally had no electricity at all. Kensal Road, W10 Kensal Road, originally called Albert Road, is the heart of Kensal Town. Kilburn Lane, W10 Kilburn Lane runs around the edge of the Queen’s Park Estate in London W10. Kingsdown Close, W10 Kingsdown Close is one of a select number of roads in London W10 lying south of Westway. Ladbroke Crescent, W11 Ladbroke Crescent belongs to the third and final great period of building on the Ladbroke estate and the houses were constructed in the 1860s. Ladbroke Grove, W10 Ladbroke Grove runs from Notting Hill in the south to Kensal Green in the north, and straddles the W10 and W11 postal districts. Lansdowne Crescent, W11 Lansdowne Crescent has some of the most interesting and varied houses on the Ladbroke estate, as architects and builders experimented with different styles. Lavie Mews, W10 Lavie Mews, W10 was a mews connecting Portobello Road and Murchison Road. Lionel Mews, W10 Lionel Mews was built around 1882 and probably disappeared in the 1970s. Lockton Street, W10 Lockton Street, just south of Latimer Road station is so insignificant that nary a soul know's it's there... Malton Mews, W10 Malton Mews is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Maple Walk, W10 Post war development on the Queen’s Park Estate created some plant-based street names. Middle Row, W10 Middle Row is one of the original streets laid out as Kensal New Town. Mozart Street, W10 Mozart Street was part of the second wave of development of the Queen’s Park Estate. Munro Mews, W10 Munro Mews is a part cobbled through road that connects Wornington Road and Wheatstone Road. Oliphant Street, W10 Oliphant Street was the final alphabetical street on the original Queen’s Park Estate naming scheme. Peach Road, W10 Paach Road is one of the newer streets of the Queen’s Park Estate in London W10 Pember Road, NW10 Pember Road is one of the side streets to the west of Kilburn Lane, NW10 Rackham Street, W10 Rackham Street is a road that disappeared from the streetscape of London W10 in 1951. Raymede Street, W10 Raymede Street, after severe bomb damage in the area, disappeared after 1950. Regent Street, NW10 Regent Street, otherwise an obscure side street is one of the oldest roads in Kensal Green. Ronan Walk, W10 Ronan Walk was one of the streets constructed in a 1970s build parallel to the Harrow Road. Severn Avenue, W10 Severn Avenue is a newer thoroughfare in the Queen's Park Estate, London W10 St Andrews Square, W11 St Andrews Square is a street in Notting Dale, formed when the Rillington Place area was demolished. St Marks Road, W11 St Marks Road, W11 is the southern extention of the W10 street and in the Latimer Road area. Station Walk, W10 Station Walk is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Walmer Road, W11 Walmer Road is the oldest street in the area, dating from the eighteenth century or before. Waynflete Square, W10 Waynflete Square is one of the newer roads in the vicinity of Latimer Road station. Wedlake Street, W10 Wedlake Street arrived as the second wave of building in Kensal Town was completed. Westway, W10 Westway is the A40(M) motorway which runs on an elevated section along the W10/W11 border. Wornington Road, W10 Wornington Road connected Golborne Road with Ladbroke Grove, though the Ladbroke end is now closed to through traffic.
Kensal New Town was built between the Grand Central Canal (which opened in 1801) and the Great Western Railway line (opening in 1837) in the 1840s.
Single-storey cottages with gardens suitable for drying clothes were the first buildings and Kensal Road
, Middle Row
, West Row
, East Row
and Southern Row
all appeared between 1841 and 1851. The rows of cottages quickly degenerated into a slum, mainly due to overcrowding, industrialisation and pollution.
The area was dominated by the Western Gas Company and Kensal Cemetery, which provided work but did little to improve the environment. Women were primarily involved in laundry work giving the area its nickname of ‘Soapsuds Island’.
The area was isolated from the rest of London at a time when Portobello Lane (now Portobello Road
) was a muddy track sometimes impassable in bad weather.
Cut off from the municipal authorities it was left to charities to attempt to alleviate the social and health problems.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the cottage laundry industry began to be replaced by larger mechanized concerns.
In 1902 Charles Booth described it as, “Just as full of children and poverty as was the old woman’s dwelling in the nursery rhyme.” By this date the area had been transferred to the newly formed Royal Borough of Kensington. When the Piggeries and Potteries in Notting Dale were finally cleared in the early 20th century most of the displaced residents moved north into Golborne ward and Kensal.
By 1923 in the Southam Street
area 140 houses contained some 2500 inhabitants. A series of evocative photographs by Roger Mayne in the 1950s showed that little had changed. It was only from the 1960s that the overcrowded and dilapidated terraces were cleared and replaced by social housing including Goldfinger’s Trellick Tower.