Once upon a time in 1979, Joy Division, OMD and A Certain Ratio were on the same bill - and all for £1.50.
This is not to mention that great John Dowie - a Cinderella amongst the glitterati. Licence:
One small footnote is that "Rough Trade" which became a major independent label started off as a record shop where concertgoers could buy their tickets in advance. A bargain at £1.25.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
A seminal gig
3 Acklam Road From the 19th century up until 1965, number 3 Acklam Road, near the Portobello Road junction, was occupied by the Bedford family. Albert Hotel The Albert Hotel stood on the corner of All Saints Road and Westbourne Park Road. All Saints Notting Hill All Saints church was designed by the Victorian Gothic revival pioneer William White, who was also a mountaineer, Swedish gymnastics enthusiast and anti-shaving campaigner. Duke of Cornwall The Duke of Cornwall pub morphed into the uber-trendy "The Ledbury" restaurant. Ladbroke Grove Ladbroke Grove is named after James Weller Ladbroke, who developed the Ladbroke Estate in the mid nineteenth century, until then a largely rural area on the western edges of London. Ladbroke Grove Ladbroke Grove on the corner of St Charles Sqaure taken outside the Eagle public house, looking north, just prior to the outbreak of the Second World War. North Kensington Library North Kensington Library opened in 1891 and was described as one of London’s finest public libraries. Orme’s Green Ormes Green was the former name for this part of Westbourne Park. Portobello Farm Portobello Farm House was approached along Turnpike Lane, sometimes referred to as Green’s Lane, a track leading from Kensington Gravel Pits towards a wooden bridge over the canal. Portobello Green Portobello Green features a shopping arcade under the Westway along Thorpe Close, an open-air market under the canopy, and community gardens. Rackham Street, eastern end (1950) The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them. St Martins Mission Saint Martin's Mission was originally known as Rackham Hall as it was situated on Rackham Street. St. Joseph’s Home St Joseph's dominated a part of Portobello Road up until the 1980s. The Apollo The Apollo pub was located at 18 All Saints Road, on the southeast corner of the Lancaster Road junction. The Eagle The Eagle, on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Telford Road. The Mitre The Mitre was situated at 62 Golborne Road. Windsor Castle The Windsor Castle dates from the 1820s but its main incarnation was as a classic Victorian public house, seminal in 1970s musical history. Acklam Road, W10 Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway. All Saints Road, W11 Built between 1852-61, All Saints Road is named after All Saints Church on Talbot Road. Appleford Road, W10 Appleford Road was transformed post-war from a Victorian street to one dominated by housing blocks. Cornwall Road, W11 Cornwall Road was once the name for the westernmost part of Westbourne Park Road. Edenham Mews, W10 Edenham Mews was the site of a youth club and day nursery after the Second World War until demolition. Fallodon House, W11 Fallodon House was planned in 1973 to replace housing between Tavistock Crescent, Tavistock Road, and St Luke’s Road. Faraday Road, W10 Faraday Road is one of the ’scientist’ roadnames of North Kensington. Golborne Road, W10 Golborne Road, heart of North Kensington, was named after Dean Golbourne, at one time vicar of St. John’s Church in Paddington. Great Western Road, W9 Great Western Road’s northernmost section was created after a bridge was constructed over the canal. Harrow Road, W9 Harrow Road is a main road running through Paddington, Willesden and beyond. Hormead Road, W9 Hormead Road was named in 1885 although its site was still a nursery ground until 1891. Ladbroke Crescent, W11 Ladbroke Crescent belongs to the third and final great period of building on the Ladbroke estate and the houses were constructed in the 1860s. Ladbroke Grove, W10 Ladbroke Grove runs from Notting Hill in the south to Kensal Green in the north, and straddles the W10 and W11 postal districts. Lavie Mews, W10 Lavie Mews, W10 was a mews connecting Portobello Road and Murchison Road. Lionel Mews, W10 Lionel Mews was built around 1882 and probably disappeared in the 1970s. Malton Mews, W10 Malton Mews, formerly Oxford Mews, runs south off of Cambridge Gardens. Munro Mews, W10 Munro Mews is a part cobbled through road that connects Wornington Road and Wheatstone Road. Portobello Road, W10 Portobello Road is split into two sections by the Westway/Hammersmith and City line. Shottsford, W2 Shottsford is one of the buildings of the Wessex Gardens Estate. St Andrews Square, W11 St Andrews Square is a street in Notting Dale, formed when the Rillington Place area was demolished. Tavistock Crescent, W11 Tavistock Crescent was where the first Notting Hill Carnival procession began on 18 September 1966. Telford Road, W10 Telford Road is one of the local streets named after prominent nineteenth century scientists. Thorpe Close, W10 Thorpe Close is a redevelopment of the former Thorpe Mews, laid waste by the building of the Westway. Trellick Tower, W10 Trellick Tower is a 31-storey block of flats designed in the Brutalist style by architect Ernő Goldfinger, completed in 1972. Westbury House, W11 Westbury House was built on the corner of Westbourne Park Road and Aldridge Road Villas in 1965. Westway, W10 Westway is the A40(M) motorway which runs on an elevated section along the W10/W11 border. Wornington Road, W10 Wornington Road connected Golborne Road with Ladbroke Grove, though the Ladbroke end is now closed to through traffic.
Notting Hill: A place whose fortunes have come, gone and come again...
Notting Hill is a cosmopolitan district known as the location for the annual Notting Hill Carnival, and for being home to the Portobello Road
The word Notting
might originate from a Saxon called Cnotta
with the =ing
part indicating "the place inhibited by the people of" - i.e. where Cnotta’s tribe lived. There was a farm called variously "Knotting-Bernes,", "Knutting-Barnes" or "Nutting-barns" and this name was transferred to the hill above it.
The area remained rural until the westward expansion of London reached Bayswater in the early 19th century. The main landowner in Notting Hill was the Ladbroke family, and from the 1820s James Weller Ladbroke began to undertake the development of the Ladbroke Estate. Working with the architect and surveyor Thomas Allason, Ladbroke began to lay out streets and houses, with a view to turning the area into a fashionable suburb of the capital (although the development did not get seriously under way until the 1840s). Many of these streets bear the Ladbroke name, including Ladbroke Grove
, the main north-south axis of the area, and Ladbroke Square, the largest private garden square in London.
The original idea was to call the district Kensington Park, and other roads (notably Kensington Park Road and Kensington Park Gardens) are reminders of this. The local telephone prefix 7727 (originally 727) is based on the old telephone exchange name of PARk.
The reputation of the district altered over the course of the 20th century. As middle class households ceased to employ servants, the large Notting Hill houses lost their market and were increasingly split into multiple occupation.
For much of the 20th century the large houses were subdivided into multi-occupancy rentals. Caribbean immigrants were drawn to the area in the 1950s, partly because of the cheap rents, but were exploited by slum landlords like Peter Rachman, and also became the target of white racist Teddy Boys in the 1958 Notting Hill race riots.
Notting Hill was slowly gentrified from the 1980s onwards now has a contemporary reputation as an affluent and fashionable area; known for attractive terraces of large Victorian townhouses, and high-end shopping and restaurants (particularly around Westbourne Grove and Clarendon Cross).
A Daily Telegraph article in 2004 used the phrase the ’Notting Hill Set’ to refer to a group of emerging Conservative politicians, such as David Cameron and George Osborne, who were once based in Notting Hill.
Since it was first developed in the 1830s, Notting Hill has had an association with artists and ’alternative’ culture.