Print-friendly version of this page Parliament Hill
is an area of open parkland in the south-east corner of Hampstead Heath
In 1875 Hampstead Heath
was acquired for the people by the Metropolitan Board of Works. Thirteen years later Parliament Hill
was purchased for the public for £300 000 and added to Hampstead Heath
. It has been administered by the City of London Corporation since 1989.It is a popular place that is used by walkers, runners and kite flyers.
is 98 metres high and notable for its excellent views of the capital’s skyline - to Canary Wharf, the Gherkin, the Shard and St Paul’s Cathedral.
It is known particularly as a cross-country running venue and hosted the 2009 English National Championships. The 2012 English National Cross Country Championships were also staged at Parliament Hill
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
View towards Central London from the top of Parliament Hill (2007)
Constantine Road, NW3 Constantine Road was planned as a direct route from Gospel Oak and Kentish Town to South End Green and the heath. Cressy Road, NW3 Cressy Road was named for a famous English victory by its builder Thomas Gibb. Fitzroy Close, N6 Fitzroy Close is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Fitzroy Park, N6 Fitzroy Park is one of the streets of London in the N6 postal area. Hillfield Court, NW3 Hillfield Court serves a prominent art deco residential mansion block of the same name in Belsize Park. Lismore Circus, NW5 Lismore Circus was a former Victorian circus with six streets radiating from it.
Hampstead Heath railway station has been part of the London Overground since 11 November 2007.
In the nineteenth century up to 100,000 people per day used the station at weekends and on public holidays as the Heath was a popular holiday destination for Londoners. The station was rebuilt, after Second World War bomb damage, and in the 1990s in conjunction with works to allow Eurostar trains to use the North London Line.