Drakes Courtyard, NW6

Road in/near Kilburn

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.5439 -0.20121, 51.543 -0.201) 

Drakes Courtyard, NW6

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Kilburn · NW6 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Drakes Courtyard is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Brondesbury Brondesbury was originally "Brand’s manor" - a small hamlet in Middlesex.
Cannon Stream The Cannon Stream was, before it was sent underground, a tributary of the Westbourne River.
Kilburn Grange Park Kilburn Grange Park is a three hectare open space adjacent to Kilburn High Road.
Oaklands Hall On the west side of West End Lane, Charles Spain bought 5 acres and between 1829 and 1838 built York Villa.
The Elms The Elms - also known as Elm Lodge - stood at the junction of Kilburn High Road and Willesden Lane.
The Grange The Grange was a large mansion situated on Kilburn High Road until the turn of the twentieth century.
Victoria Hotel The Victoria Tavern was built on the corner of Kilburn High Road and Willesden Lane in the middle of the nineteenth century.
West End Park West End Park was created from fields known as the 'Little Estate'.

NEARBY STREETS
Albion Mews, NW6 Albion Mews is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Aldershot Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Ariel Road, NW6 Ariel Road was formed from the 1885 combination of Ariel Street and Spencer Terrace.
Athelstan Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Brondesbury Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Brooklands Court, NW6 Brooklands Court is a road in the NW6 postcode area
Buckley Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Burton Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Callcott Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cavendish Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Cavendish Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Clarence Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
College Parade, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
College Yard, NW6 College Yard is a small alleyway off of Winchester Avenue, NW6.
Cotleigh Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Daynor House, NW6 Residential block
Douglas Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Dunster Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Dyne Road, NW6 Dyne Road dates from the just after the opening of Kilburn Station in 1879.
Dynham Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Eresby Road Eresby Road ran from Kingsgate Road to Kilburn High Road with a turning for Kingsgate Place about halfway down.
Espalier Gardens, NW6 Espalier Gardens is a location in London.
Exeter Parade, NW2 Exeter Parade is a street in Cricklewood.
Exeter Road, NW6 Exeter Road is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Gascony Avenue, NW6 Gascony Avenue is an east-west road lying both sides of Kingsgate Road, NW6.
Gladstone Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Gladys Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Grange Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Grangeway, NW6 Grangeway, NW6 lies off of Messina Avenue.
Hemstal Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Heritage Lane, NW6 Heritage Lane is a location in London.
Iverson Road, NW6 The first part of Iverson Road, NW6 was laid out in 1872.
Kenilworth Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kimberley Court, NW6 Kimberley Court is a location in London.
Kimberley Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kingsgate Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kingsgate Road, NW6 Kingsgate Road runs between Quex Road and Hemstal Road.
Kingsley Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Kylemore Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Landau House, NW6 Residential block
Linburn House, NW6 Residential block
Lincoln Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Linstead Street, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Loveridge Mews, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Loveridge Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Lowfield Road, NW6 Lowfield Road is the northern extension of Kingsgate Road, NW6.
Maygrove Road, NW6 Maygrove Road runs between the Edgware Road and Iverson Road, NW6
Mazenod Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Medley Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Messina Avenue, NW6 Messina Avenue stretches from West End Lane over to Kilburn High Road.
Mowbray Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Mowbray Road, NW6 Mowbray Road is a road in the NW2 postcode area
Netherwood Street, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Opal Mews 31-33, NW6 Opal Mews 31-33 is a location in London.
Opal Mews, NW6 Opal Mews is a location in London.
Palmerston Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Plympton Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Plympton Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Queensgate Place, NW6 Queensgate Place is a location in London.
Quex Road, NW6 Quex Road is an important road in NW6 linking the Edgware Road and West End Lane.
Sheriff Road, NW6 Sheriff Road is a location in London.
Sherrif Road, NW6 Sherrif Road is a location in London.
Sherriff Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Smyma Road, NW6 Smyma Road is a location in London.
Smyrna Road, NW6 Smyrna Road is a small road to the west of West End Lane.
St Julians Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
St. Julians Road, NW6 St. Julians Road is a location in London.
Streatley Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
The Arches, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
The Quadrant, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
The Terrace, NW6 The Terrace is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Torbay Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Waterloo Passage, NW6 Waterloo Passage is one of the streets of London in the NW6 postal area.
Webheath, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Westend Lane, NW6 Westend Lane is a location in London.
Willesden Court, NW6 This is a street in the S43 postcode area
Willesden Lane, NW6 Willesden Lane is an original thoroughfare of the area.
Winchester Avenue, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Winchrester Avenue, NW6 Winchrester Avenue is a location in London.


Kilburn

Kilburn is an area which straddles both sides of the Edgware Road (Kilburn High Road).

Kilburn High Road originated as an ancient trackway, part of a Celtic route between the settlements now known as Canterbury and St Albans. Under Roman rule, the route was paved. In Anglo-Saxon times the road became known as Watling Street.

Kilburn grew up on the banks of a stream which has been known variously as Cuneburna, Kelebourne and Cyebourne, which flows from Hampstead down through Hyde Park and into the River Thames. It is suggested the name means either Royal River or Cattle River ('Bourne' being an Anglo-Saxon word for 'river'). That river is known today as the Westbourne.

The name Kilburn was first recorded in 1134 as Cuneburna, referring to the priory which had been built on the site of the cell of a hermit known as Godwyn. Godwyn had built his hermitage by the Kilburn river during the reign of Henry I, and both his hermitage and the priory took their name from the river.

Kilburn Priory was a small community of nuns, probably Augustinian canonesses. It was founded in 1134 at the Kilburn river crossing on Watling Street (the modern-day junction of Kilburn High Road and Belsize Road). Kilburn Priory's position on Watling Street meant that it became a popular resting point for pilgrims heading for the shrines at St Albans and Willesden. The Priory was dissolved in 1536-37 by Henry VIII, and nothing remains of it today. The priory lands included a mansion and a hostium (a guesthouse), which may have been the origin of the Red Lion pub, thought to have been founded in 1444. Opposite, the Bell Inn was opened around 1600, on the site of the old mansion.

The fashion for taking 'medicinal waters' in the 18th century came to Kilburn when a well of chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) was discovered near the Bell Inn in 1714. In an attempt to compete with the nearby Hampstead Well, gardens and a 'great room' were opened to promote the well, and its waters were promoted in journals of the day as cure for 'stomach ailments'.

In the 19th century the wells declined, but the Kilburn Wells remained popular as a tea garden. The Bell was demolished and rebuilt in 1863. The Kilburn stretch of Watling Street, now called Edgware Road and Kilburn High Road, was gradually built up with inns and farm houses. Kilburn did not attract any significant building until around 1819 in the area near St John's Wood.

Much of the area was developed in the last decades of the 19th century by Solomon Barnett, who named many of the streets after places in the West Country (e.g. Torbay) or after popular poets of the day (e.g. Tennyson) in honour of his wife.

There are three railway stations on Kilburn High Road: Kilburn tube station (Jubilee line) at its northern end and a little to the south Brondesbury station (London Overground). Approximately a mile further south is Kilburn High Road station (also London Overground). The name of Ian Dury's first band, Kilburn and the High Roads, refers to this road, as does the Flogging Molly song, "Kilburn High Road" and the Shack song, "Kilburn High Road".

Kilburn tube station opened as Kilburn and Brondesbury on 24 November 1879, as part of the Metropolitan and St. John's Wood Railway run by the Metropolitan Railway. Following the merger of the Metropolitan Railway into London Transport in 1933, it then became part of the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo line on 20 November 1939, at which time the station was extensively rebuilt. The station was renamed to its current name on 25 September 1950. It was transferred to the Jubilee line on its opening, on 1 May 1979.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Extract from the London Gazette
TUM image id: 1556827514
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Wet Fish Cafe
Credit: Wet Fish Cafe
TUM image id: 1556889785
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Alice House
TUM image id: 1557142437
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Black Lion (early 1900s)
TUM image id: 1557151939
Licence: CC BY 2.0
1879 Royal Agricultural Society Show
TUM image id: 1557317518
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Kilburn Grange Park
TUM image id: 1453363351
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Grangeway, NW6
TUM image id: 1453361516
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Kilburn Wells
TUM image id: 1481201889
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Kilburn Park Farm
TUM image id: 1490745540
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Brondesbury Station in 1961. The view is to the northeast towards Dalston Junction and Broad Street. In the distance can be seen the overbridge carrying the Metropolitan and LNER (ex-Great Central) six lines into Baker Street and Marylebone.
TUM image id: 1452354768
Licence:
Kilburn Grange Park
TUM image id: 1453363351
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Grangeway, NW6
TUM image id: 1453361516
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Narcissus Road, an album by The Hours.
Credit: The Hours
TUM image id: 1484675399
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Sumatra Road, West Hampstead. Houses opposite Kingdon Road.
Credit: David Hawgood
TUM image id: 1453815037
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Grange, from "The Graphic magazine", 1901
Credit: Marianne Colloms
TUM image id: 1453363936
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Clarence Place, Kilburn High Road, at the junction with Eresby Road. Thought to be taken in the 1880s.
Credit: Alexander W. Dron
TUM image id: 1599855094
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Kilburn House
Credit: Brent Archives
TUM image id: 1602685827
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Biddy Mulligans, Kilburn High Road in 1975.
Credit: Getty Images
TUM image id: 1604488775
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Print-friendly version of this page