Print-friendly version of this page
Tranley Mews is a street in Hampstead.
Ainger Road, NW3 Ainger Road lies along the boundary of St John’s Hampstead, a parish which saw rapid development in the nineteenth century. Constantine Road, NW3 Constantine Road was planned as a direct route from Gospel Oak and Kentish Town to South End Green and the heath. Cressy Road, NW3 Cressy Road was named for a famous English victory by its builder Thomas Gibb. Hillfield Court, NW3 Hillfield Court serves a prominent art deco residential mansion block of the same name in Belsize Park. Meadowbank, NW3 Meadowbank, blocks of flats on a street of the same name, were created as part of the Whitton council estate in 1970/71. Oppidans Mews, NW3 Oppidans Mews was the very road to be laid out in the original development of the area. Rosslyn Hill, NW3 Rosslyn Hill is a road connecting the south end of Hampstead High Street to the north end of Haverstock Hill.
South End Green is the focus of a distinct Hampstead community.
South End Green has been marked as such on maps since the 18th century, going simultaneously by another name - Pond Street
The area took more shape along the rough edges of Hampstead Heath in 1835, when the small puddle at the bottom of aptly-named Pond Street
was filled in. Much like Parliament Hill
on the opposite side of the Heath, the arrival of a tram terminus brought people, shops, roads, homes and large public houses to this once sleepy hamlet by mid-century.