Print-friendly version of this page
Admiral Mews is a small road off Barlby Road
Admiral Mews, though formally labelled as a street in the 1880s, (and at first called ’Admiral Place’) existed for longer than this.
It was the site for cowsheds just before the area was urbanised - these are marked on the 1870 map of the area. Drovers bringing their cattle to the London markets would house them in these sheds for the night. The drovers found shelter and refreshment in the neighbouring tavern - "The Admiral Blake". Neither the sheds nor the mews were marked upon contemporary maps until the 1880s.
Admiral Blake was a Cromwellian admiral who defeated the Royalist navy during the Civil War, and captured a Spanish treasure-fleet in 1656.
Since the redevelopment of the "Cowshed" area, the status of the mews has been downgraded and often does not take a name.
Absalom Road, W10 Absalom Road was the former name for the western section of Golborne Gardens. Adair Road, W10 Adair Road is a street on the Kensal Town/North Kensington borders. Appleford Road, W10 Appleford Road was transformed post-war from a Victorian street to one dominated by housing blocks. Bosworth Road, W10 Bosworth Road was the first street built as Kensal New Town started to expand to the east. Bruce Close, W10 Bruce Close replaced the earlier Rackham Street in this part of W10. Canal Way, W10 Canal Way was built on the site of the Kensal Gas Works. Droop Street, W10 Droop Street is one of the main east-west streets of the Queen’s Park Estate. East Row, W10 East Row is a road with a long history within Kensal Town. Faraday Road, W10 Faraday Road is one of the ’scientist’ roadnames of North Kensington. Farrant Street, W10 Farrant Street is the missing link in the alphabetti spaghetti of the streetnames of the Queen’s Park Estate Golborne Road, W10 Golborne Road, heart of North Kensington, was named after Dean Golbourne, at one time vicar of St. John’s Church in Paddington. Hewer Street, W10 Built as part of the St Charles’ estate in the 1870s, it originally between Exmoor Street to a former street called Raymede Street. Humber Drive, W10 Humber Drive is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Huxley Street, W10 Huxley Street is the only street beginning with an H on the Queen’s Park Estate. Kensal House, W10 Kensal House (1936), was designed to show off the power of gas and originally had no electricity at all. Kensal Road, W10 Kensal Road, originally called Albert Road, is the heart of Kensal Town. Ladbroke Grove, W10 Ladbroke Grove runs from Notting Hill in the south to Kensal Green in the north, and straddles the W10 and W11 postal districts. Lavie Mews, W10 Lavie Mews, W10 was a mews connecting Portobello Road and Murchison Road. Lionel Mews, W10 Lionel Mews was built around 1882 and probably disappeared in the 1970s. Maple Walk, W10 Post war development on the Queen’s Park Estate created some plant-based street names. Middle Row, W10 Middle Row is one of the original streets laid out as Kensal New Town. Munro Mews, W10 Munro Mews is a part cobbled through road that connects Wornington Road and Wheatstone Road. Oakworth Road, W10 Oakworth Road dates from the 1920s when a cottage estate was built by the council. Portobello Road, W10 Portobello Road is split into two sections by the Westway/Hammersmith and City line. Rackham Street, W10 Rackham Street is a road that disappeared from the streetscape of London W10 in 1951. Raymede Street, W10 Raymede Street, after severe bomb damage in the area, disappeared after 1950. Ronan Walk, W10 Ronan Walk was one of the streets constructed in a 1970s build parallel to the Harrow Road. Rootes Drive, W10 Rootes Drive is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Southern Row, W10 Southern Row was originally South Row to match the other streets in the neighbourhood. Telford Road, W10 Telford Road is one of the local streets named after prominent nineteenth century scientists. Wedlake Street, W10 Wedlake Street arrived as the second wave of building in Kensal Town was completed. Western Dwellings, W10 Western Dwellings were a row of houses, opposite the Western Gas Works, housing some of the workers. Wornington Road, W10 Wornington Road connected Golborne Road with Ladbroke Grove, though the Ladbroke end is now closed to through traffic.
North Kensington lies either side of Ladbroke Grove, W10.
North Kensington was rural until the 19th century, when it was developed as a suburb with quite large homes. By the 1880s, too many houses had been built for the upper-middle class towards whom the area was aimed. Large houses were divided into low cost flats which often degenerated into slums, as documented in the photographs of Roger Mayne.
During the 1980s, the area started to be gentrified although areas in the north west of the district at Ladbroke Grove
and Westbourne Park remain deprived and run down to this day.
Waves of immigrants have arrived for at least a century including, but certainly not limited to, the Spanish, the Irish, the Jews, the West Indians, the Portuguese, the Moroccans and many from the Horn of Africa and Eastern Europe. This constant renewal of the population makes the area one of the most cosmopolitan in London.
The Notting Hill carnival was first staged in 1964 as a way for the local Afro-Caribbean communities to celebrate their own cultures and traditions. After some rough times in the 1970s and 1980s when it became associated with social protest, violence and huge controversy over policing tactics, this is now Europe’s largest carnival/festival event and a major event in the London calendar. It is staged every August over the Bank holiday weekend.