Print-friendly version of this page
Latymer Upper School is an independent selective grammar school which accepts boys and girls between the ages of 7 and 19.
Latymer Upper School was founded by Edward Latymer in 1624. It is coeducational with over 1200 pupils.
Edward Latymer, a wealthy lawyer and puritan, left part of his wealth for the clothing and education of “eight poore boyes” from Hammersmith. In 1657, a parochial charity school was set up and was rebuilt in 1755. A new facility was built on what is now King Street
in 1863, and was replaced in 1890 with a new building between King Street
and the Thames. This structure persists to the present day as the core of the Upper School. The site also includes Latymer Prep School, which takes pupils aged 7 to 11.
The school became fully private in 1975 after being a direct grant school. The Sixth Form has been co-educational since 1996, and in 2004 the main school started to become co-educational.
Askew Road, W12 Askew Road is named after a local landowning family, the Askews, who also owned substantial land in Gloucestershire. Castelnau, SW13 Castelnau was called Upper Bridge Road until 1889 leading as it did to Hammersmith Bridge. Goldhawk Road, W12 Goldhawk Road is a main road in West London, which starts at Shepherd’s Bush and runs west. Madrid Road, SW13 Madrid Road is one of the streets of London in the SW13 postal area. Nowell Road, SW13 Nowell Road is one of the streets of London in the SW13 postal area. Paddenswick Road, W6 Paddenswick Road commemorates the medieval manor and estate of Palingswick (or Paddenswick) Manor, located on the site of Ravenscourt Park and first recorded in the 12th century. Wyatt Drive, SW13 Wyatt Drive is one of the streets of London in the SW13 postal area.
Hammersmith is a district in west London, England, in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, approximately five miles (eight kilometres) west of Charing Cross on the north bank of the River Thames.
One of west London's key transport hubs and commercial and employment centres, and home to several multinational company offices, it is focused on the two London Underground stations, bus station and road network node at Hammersmith Broadway.
Hammersmith's pedestrianised riverside is popular for its many pubs, and excellent views of the river and its annual Boat Race.
The area has provided a location for several TV programmes. The Flying Squad were Hammersmith-based in the 1970s TV series The Sweeney
. It has for some decades been the main centre of London's Polish minority.
Hammersmith is served by two tube stations, one is the western terminus of the Hammersmith & City Line, the other by the Piccadilly and District Lines. Both are called Hammersmith. The latter tube station is part of a larger office, retail and transport development, locally known as The Broadway
after its large encompassing roundabout.
The present Hammersmith & City station is situated on Beadon Road and opened on 1 December 1868, replacing the original station slightly north of here which opened on 13 June 1864 when the line extension was built from Paddington. The Circle line has served Hammersmith since 13 December 2009.
The Piccadilly and District line station was opened on 9 September 1874 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) as the western terminus of the railway when it was extended from Earl's Court.