Pub in/near Elstree, existed between the 1750s and 2012
Print-friendly version of this page
The Artichoke was a pub on Elstree Hill North
until about 2012.
The Artichoke, a short distance from the junction with Allum Lane
, is first mentioned in 1750 when it was kept by Philip Cogdell. It was here that a number of inquests took place including that of William Weare who was murdered in 1823.
The Birmingham to London stagecoach stopped here twice daily in the 1830s.
It recently ceased to be a pub and is now the area’s first Shtiebl, - a Jewish education and community centre.
Nicoll Farm Nicoll Farm is one of the earliest locations recorded in the Borehamwood area. Red Lion Hotel The Red Lion Hotel stood on the east side of the High Street on the corner of Barnet Lane. The Plough The Plough was a pub next to Elstree crossroads. Allum Lane, WD6 Allum Lane links Borehamwood with Watling Street just north of Elstree village. St. Nicholas Close, WD6 St. Nicholas Close leads past the church of the same name down to the school of the same name.
Elstree is a village in the southermost area of Hertfordshire situated on Watling Street.
Though since boundary changes fully in Hertfordshire, until the 1990s it was half in Hertfordshire and half in Middlesex (now Greater London).
It is most famous for giving its name to the Elstree Film Studios in nearby Borehamwood where a number of famous British films were made.
Elstree has an airfield, with a paved runway, suitable for light aircraft use. The nearest railway station is Elstree & Borehamwood.