Print-friendly version of this page
105 Shenley Road
lies along the main street of Borehamwood.
In the early 1900s, this was the 12th of 21 cottages, running west to east, built along the north side of Shenley Road
, ending where Clarendon Road
met the main road.
In 1960, the cottages were demolished and in 1961, between 83 and 123 Shenley Road
, shops to serve the growing population of Boreham Wood took their place.
In 1976, according to the research of local historian Vic Rowntree, this was the site of Halford’s.
In the 2010s, Santander Bank was here.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
68 Shenley Road 68 Shenley Road was a shop on the corner of Furzehill Road - now disappeared. ABPC Elstree Studios British National Pictures Ltd purchased 50 acres of land on the south side of Shenley Road and began construction of two large film stages in 1925. The first film produced there was Madame Pompadour in 1927. Allum Hall Allum Hall was a community centre and lately a venue. Elstree and Borehamwood Elstree (and Borehamwood) station, constructed in 1868, has undergone a series of name changes. Neptune House Neptune House, built as part of the ATV studios, is now part of the BBC studios. Albert Square, WD6 Albert Square is the fictional location of the BBC soap opera EastEnders. Chandos Road, WD6 Chandos Road was constructed upon a remaining field of Tilehouse Farm. Haddon Close, WD6 Haddon Close was one of a series of roads off Stratfield Road named after country estates. Markham Close, WD6 Markham Close was created out of the sale and subsequent demolition of Theobald Street houses. Siskin Close, WD6 Siskin Close was built on the site of the Boreham Wood Engine Works. Station Road, WD6 Station Road was laid out shortly after the railway was built to connect new industry built alongside the railway with the centre of the village. Whitehall Close, WD6 Whitehall Close was named for the Whitehall Studios which formerly stood on the site.
Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.