The Plough

Pub in/near Elstree, existed between the 1700s and the 2010s

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Pub · Elstree · WD6 ·

The Plough was a pub next to Elstree crossroads.

Elstree Village once boasted around seven pubs in the main street.

The Plough was called The Swan in the mid 17th Century and acquired by Thomas Clutterbuck, a brewer of Stanmore, just before 1816.

The present building dates from 1830/40 and in the 1930s, when under contract at the film studios, Alfred Hitchcock was a regular patron.

Elstree was a popular stop over along Watling Street on journeys to and from London. A victualler’s billing of 1756 stated that the White Horse had two beds and five horses, the Plough one bed and one horse and the Green Dragon one bed and no horses. By 1833 four major stage coaches called at Elstree daily.

In the early twenty first century, the Plough became a restaurant rather than a pub.

Main source: Elstree & Borehamwood Museum
Further citations and sources




Elstree is a village in the southermost area of Hertfordshire situated on Watling Street.

Though since boundary changes fully in Hertfordshire, until the 1990s it was half in Hertfordshire and half in Middlesex (now Greater London).

It is most famous for giving its name to the Elstree Film Studios in nearby Borehamwood where a number of famous British films were made.

Elstree has an airfield, with a paved runway, suitable for light aircraft use. The nearest railway station is Elstree & Borehamwood.

Print-friendly version of this page