Sullivan Way, Elstree, Herts.

Road in/near Elstree

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.64173 -0.30433) 

Sullivan Way, WD6

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Elstree · WD6 ·
MARCH
10
2017

Sullivan Way is a road in the WD6 postcode area




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Red Lion Hotel The Red Lion Hotel stood on the east side of the High Street on the corner of Barnet Lane.
The Green Dragon The Green Dragon was situated at 12-15 High Street, Elstree.
The Holly Bush The Holly Bush was an Elstree pub.
The Plough The Plough was a pub next to Elstree crossroads.

NEARBY STREETS
Beehive Close, WD6 Beehive Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Beethoven Road, WD6 Beethoven Road is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Britten Close, WD6 Britten Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Centennial Avenue, WD6 Centennial Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Coates Road, WD6 This is an article about Coates Road.
Delius Close, WD6 Delius Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Dylan Close, WD6 Dylan Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Elgar Close, WD6 Elgar Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Elstree Hill South, WD6 Elstree Hill South is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Fox Close, WD6 Fox Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
High Street, WD6 High Street is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Land’s End, WD6 Lands End is a road in the WD6 postcode area
May Gardens, WD6 May Gardens is a road in the WD6 postcode area
New Road, WD6 New Road is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Potters Mews, WD6 Potters Mews is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Rodgers Close, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Romeland, WD6 Romeland is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Schubert Road, WD6 This is an article about Schubert Road.
St. Nicholas Close, WD6 St. Nicholas Close leads past the church of the same name down to the school of the same name.
Summer Grove, WD6 Summer Grove is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Watford Road, WD6 Watford Road is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Watling Court, WD6 Watling Court is a road in the WD6 postcode area
West View Gardens, WD6 West View Gardens is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Westview Court, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Willow Green, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Yew Tree Court, WD6 Yew Tree Court is a road in the WD6 postcode area


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
The Artichoke
TUM image id: 1469029186
The Red Lion about 1900
TUM image id: 1488293340
Elstree South tube station
TUM image id: 1557403292
Print-friendly version of this page