Barham Avenue, Elstree, Herts.
Road in/near Elstree, existing between 1932 and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Barham Avenue was constructed on the site of two historic houses.
A large house called Hillside
once stood at the entrance to the future Barham Avenue.
stood to the east of Hillside
. There had been a house on this site since about 1600 which had changed occupants many times and was renamed over the years. The last owner, the famous publisher Andrew Chatto, was there in 1897 - his son sold the property. In 1931 a local estate agent bought and demolished the house, dividing the ground into lots. This was the origin of Barham Avenue which was built in 1932.
Albert Square, WD6 Albert Square is the fictional location of the BBC soap opera EastEnders. Allerton Close, WD6 Allerton Close, like Allerton Road, is named after a village in North Yorkshire. Allerton Road, WD6 Allerton Road is named after Allerton Mauleverer - a village in the Harrogate district of North Yorkshire. Allum Lane, WD6 Allum Lane links Borehamwood with Watling Street just north of Elstree village. Barnet Lane, WD6 Barnet Lane for centuries formed Hertfordshire’s boundary with Middlesex. Blattner Close, WD6 Blattner Close was named after Ludwig (Louis) Blattner, cinema pioneer, when built in the late 1990s. Brook Road, WD6 Brook Road is one of the main arteries in the northern part of Borehamwood. Chandos Road, WD6 Chandos Road was constructed upon a remaining field of Tilehouse Farm. Farm Close, WD6 Farm Close is situated on the Organ Hall Estate of Borehamwood. Haddon Close, WD6 Haddon Close was one of a series of roads off Stratfield Road named after country estates. Markham Close, WD6 Markham Close was created out of the sale and subsequent demolition of Theobald Street houses. Siskin Close, WD6 Siskin Close was built on the site of the Boreham Wood Engine Works. St. Nicholas Close, WD6 St. Nicholas Close leads past the church of the same name down to the school of the same name. Station Road, WD6 Station Road was laid out shortly after the railway was built to connect new industry built alongside the railway with the centre of the village. Whitehall Close, WD6 Whitehall Close was named for the Whitehall Studios which formerly stood on the site.
Elstree is a village in the southermost area of Hertfordshire situated on Watling Street.
Though since boundary changes fully in Hertfordshire, until the 1990s it was half in Hertfordshire and half in Middlesex (now Greater London).
It is most famous for giving its name to the Elstree Film Studios in nearby Borehamwood where a number of famous British films were made.
Elstree has an airfield, with a paved runway, suitable for light aircraft use. The nearest railway station is Elstree & Borehamwood.