Bishops Avenue, Elstree, Herts.

Road in/near Elstree

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.6487 -0.2857) 

Bishops Avenue, WD6

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Elstree · WD6 ·
MARCH
9
2017

Bishops Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Barham House Barham (Boreham) House was once one of the most prominent properties in Elstree.
Elstree Brick & Tile Company Elstree Brick Works ran from 1865 until 1915.
Hillside Hillside was the childhood home of Sir Richard Burton.
Hilltop Hilltop was owned by film director Herbert Wilcox and the actress Anna Neagle.
Nicoll Farm Nicoll Farm is one of the earliest locations recorded in the Borehamwood area.
The Grange The Grange was a large house built for Frank May, chief cashier to the Bank of England from 1873 to 1893.

NEARBY STREETS
Allum Lane, WD6 Allum Lane links Borehamwood with Watling Street just north of Elstree village.
Alwyn Close, WD6 Alwyn Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Ascot Close, WD6 Ascot Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Belmor, WD6 Belmor is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Berkeley Close, WD6 Berkeley Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Blattner Close, WD6 Blattner Close was named after Ludwig (Louis) Blattner, cinema pioneer, when built in the late 1990s.
Cavendish Crescent, WD6 Cavendish Crescent is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Clare Close, WD6 Clare Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Deacons Hill Road, WD6 Deacons Hill Road is a road connecting Barnet Lane and Allum Lane.
Fir Tree Court, WD6 Fir Tree Court is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Grange Road, WD6 Grange Road is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Hadley Close, WD6 Hadley Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Hartfield Avenue, WD6 Hartfield Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Hartfield Close, WD6 Hartfield Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Hollywood Court, WD6 Hollywood Court was built in 1935.
Knowl Park, WD6 Knowl Park is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Knowl Way, WD6 Knowl Way is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Lakeside Court, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Lodge Avenue, WD6 Lodge Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Lowther Close, WD6 Lowther Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Nash Close, WD6 Nash Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Nicholas Road, WD6 Nicholas Road is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Sheraton Close, WD6 Sheraton Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Shiremead, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Shiremeade, WD6 Shiremeade is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Summer Hill, WD6 Summer Hill is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Tauber Close, WD6 Tauber Close is a small cul-de-sac off of Allum Lane.
The Rise, WD6 The Rise is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Wentworth Avenue, WD6 Wentworth Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Woodside, WD6 Woodside is a road in the WD6 postcode area


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Deacon
Credit: Raphael Tuck and Sons
TUM image id: 1517851607
Print-friendly version of this page