Print-friendly version of this page
Glenhaven Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
68 Shenley Road 68 Shenley Road was a shop on the corner of Furzehill Road - now disappeared. Allum Hall Allum Hall was a community centre and lately a venue. Barham House Barham (Boreham) House was once one of the most prominent properties in Elstree. Elstree and Borehamwood Elstree (and Borehamwood) station, constructed in 1868, has undergone a series of name changes. Hillside Hillside was the childhood home of Sir Richard Burton. The Grange The Grange was a large house built for Frank May, chief cashier to the Bank of England from 1873 to 1893.
Shakespeare Drive, WD6 Shakespeare Drive, which was part of the former Furzehill School is part of a development by Persimmon Plc. Siskin Close, WD6 Siskin Close was built on the site of the Boreham Wood Engine Works. Station Road, WD6 Station Road was laid out shortly after the railway was built to connect new industry built alongside the railway with the centre of the village. Whitehall Close, WD6 Whitehall Close was named for the Whitehall Studios which formerly stood on the site.
Elstree (and Borehamwood) station, constructed in 1868, has undergone a series of name changes.
On 22 June 1863, the Midland Railway (Extension to London) Bill was passed: "The London and Midland Junction Railway Bill is here referred to as providing for a new line of Railway into the metropolis. It commences from the Midland Railway at Hitchin, passes by St. Albans, Elstree, Edgware, Finchley and Highgate, and terminates by a junction with the Metropolitan Underground Railway at King’s Cross, previously throwing out a Branch to the Cattle Market at Copenhagen Fields."
Situated north of the Elstree Tunnels, the station was built by the Midland Railway as simply "Elstree" in 1868 when it built its extension to St Pancras station. By the 1920s, it had been renamed Elstree and Boreham Wood station. It was modernised in 1959. The station was renamed from Elstree & Borehamwood to Elstree on 6 May 1974, but reverted to Elstree & Borehamwood by mid 1988.
The station building has been on three different sites - first in a small lane off of Allum Lane, then atop the Allum Lane railway bridge and finally (and aptly) in Station Road