Print-friendly version of this page
Keystone Passage commemorates the Keystone factory.
With a 900-strong workforce, the Keystone Knitting Mills was a major employer in the area from the end of the Twenties to the beginning of the early Sixties.
The business dated back to 1919, when friends Henry Nathan Lewis and Morris Twogood started door-to-door distribution of stockings imported from the United States.
They opened a factory in Shenley Road
in 1927, specialising in high quality ladies’ hosiery and lingerie. It was built on a site between Glenhaven Avenue
and Clarendon Road
, behind the shops in Shenley Road
. It became a public limited company in 1928 and survived during the Second World War when the factory was taken over to make munitions.
In the late 1950s, competition for customers became intense with Italian seamless and nylon stockings flooding the British market. In 1958 the company was taken over by Alicia Hosiery and in the early Sixties the factory closed its doors for the final time.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
68 Shenley Road 68 Shenley Road was a shop on the corner of Furzehill Road - now disappeared. ABPC Elstree Studios British National Pictures Ltd purchased 50 acres of land on the south side of Shenley Road and began construction of two large film stages in 1925. The first film produced there was Madame Pompadour in 1927. Allum Hall Allum Hall was a community centre and lately a venue. Elstree and Borehamwood Elstree (and Borehamwood) station, constructed in 1868, has undergone a series of name changes. Neptune House Neptune House, built as part of the ATV studios, is now part of the BBC studios. Albert Square, WD6 Albert Square is the fictional location of the BBC soap opera EastEnders. Haddon Close, WD6 Haddon Close was one of a series of roads off Stratfield Road named after country estates. Markham Close, WD6 Markham Close was created out of the sale and subsequent demolition of Theobald Street houses. Siskin Close, WD6 Siskin Close was built on the site of the Boreham Wood Engine Works. Station Road, WD6 Station Road was laid out shortly after the railway was built to connect new industry built alongside the railway with the centre of the village. Whitehall Close, WD6 Whitehall Close was named for the Whitehall Studios which formerly stood on the site.
Borehamwood is a town of approximately 30 000 residents in southern Hertfordshire, just outside London, and part of the London commuter belt.
Borehamwood, more commonly called Boreham Wood before the LCC estate was built, is part of the borough of Hertsmere. The town is often associated with the nearby village Elstree (being part of the ancient parish of Elstree), the two still share a local council, now called the Elstree and Borehamwood Town Council.
The A1 passes just to the east of the town, and the M25 passes about two miles north of it.
Since the 1920s, the town has been the location of several film studios. The former British National Studios on Clarendon Road
are now the BBC’s Elstree Television Studios. One of BBC’s popular soaps, EastEnders, is produced at the BBC studios, as well as popular medical drama Holby City. ’Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?’, ’Big Brother’ and major feature films are filmed at the Elstree Studios in Shenley Road