Newton Crescent, Borehamwood, Herts.

Road in/near Borehamwood

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.65119 -0.26633) 

Newton Crescent, WD6

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Borehamwood · WD6 ·
MARCH
10
2017

Newton Crescent is a road in the WD6 postcode area




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Cranes Farm Cranes Farm was a farm in Boreham Wood.
Hillside School Hillside School existed between 1939 and 2000.
The Directors Arms/Bull and Tiger The Directors Arms was formerly known as the Bull and Tiger.

NEARBY STREETS
Almond Way, WD6 Almond Way is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Arundel Drive, WD6 Arundel Drive runs from Furzehill Road to Balmoral Drive.
Burghley Avenue, WD6 Burghley Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Byron Avenue, WD6 Byron Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Cardinal Avenue, WD6 Cardinal Avenue leads south off of Shenley Road.
Cedars Close, WD6 Cedars Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Cleveland Crescent, WD6 Cleveland Crescent is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Cranes Way, WD6 Cranes Way is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Dacre Gardens, WD6 Dacre Gardens is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Elmwood Avenue, WD6 Elmwood Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Featherstone Gardens, WD6 Featherstone Gardens runs from Kenilworth Drive to Arundel Drive.
Furzehill Road, WD6 Furzehill Road runs from Shenley Road to Barnet Lane.
Grantham Green, WD6 Grantham Green is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Graveley Avenue, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Hampton Close, WD6 Hampton Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Hillside Avenue, WD6 Hillside Avenue was a pre-war road laid out from 1937 onwards.
Keats Close, WD6 Keats Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Kenilworth Drive, WD6 Kenilworth Drive was one of the roads built for the proposed Laing’s Estate.
Kimbolton Green, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Lemsford Court, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Linster Grove, WD6 Linster Grove is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Lullington Garth, WD6 Lullington Garth has a very unusual name!
Manor Way, WD6 Manor Way was one of the first new roads to be designed in the Boreham Wood Estate.
Masefield Avenue, WD6 Masefield Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Melrose Avenue, WD6 Melrose Avenue was the first built of Borehamwood’s ’poet’ roads.
Mildred Avenue, WD6 Mildred Avenue is a curious road, being in two halves.
Milton Drive, WD6 Milton Drive is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Monksmead, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Oakwood Avenue, WD6 Oakwood Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
St Paul’s Close, WD6 St Paul’s Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Tennison Avenue, WD6 Tennison Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Thornbury Gardens, WD6 Thornbury Gardens runs from Kenilworth Drive to Arundel Drive.
Vale Avenue, WD6 Vale Avenue is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Woodlands Close, WD6 Woodlands Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Hillside School
Credit: Eve Glover
TUM image id: 1522577725
Print-friendly version of this page