Norfolk Gardens, Borehamwood, Herts.

Road in/near Borehamwood

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.65268 -0.258) 

Norfolk Gardens, WD6

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Borehamwood · WD6 ·
MARCH
10
2017

Norfolk Gardens is a road in the WD6 postcode area




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Barnet Grass Speedway Barnet Grass Speedway was active between 1929 and 1936, next to the recently constructed Barnet By Pass.
Cranes Farm Cranes Farm was a farm in Boreham Wood.
Tempsford Green Tempsford Green was created from an area of rough ground in 1951.
The Directors Arms/Bull and Tiger The Directors Arms was formerly known as the Bull and Tiger.

NEARBY STREETS
Arundel Drive, WD6 Arundel Drive runs from Furzehill Road to Balmoral Drive.
Balmoral Drive, WD6 Balmoral Drive is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Buckingham Road, WD6 Buckingham Road is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Carlton Close, WD6 Carlton Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Cleveland Crescent, WD6 Cleveland Crescent is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Corfe Close, WD6 Corfe Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Cranes Way, WD6 Cranes Way is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Dunster Court, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Easton Gardens, WD6 Easton Gardens is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Elstree Distribution Park, WD6 Elstree Distribution Park is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Ely Gardens, WD6 Ely Gardens is a cul-de-sac off of Nicoll Way.
Featherstone Gardens, WD6 Featherstone Gardens runs from Kenilworth Drive to Arundel Drive.
Graveley Avenue, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Hampton Close, WD6 Hampton Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Howard Drive, WD6 Howard Drive is a street in Borehamwood
Kenilworth Close, WD6 Kenilworth Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Kenilworth Drive, WD6 Kenilworth Drive was one of the roads built for the proposed Laing’s Estate.
Kensington Way, WD6 Kensington Way is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Kimbolton Green, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Knebworth Path, WD6 Knebworth Path is a cut through between Nicoll Way and Balmoral Drive.
Lemsford Court, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Lincoln Court, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Manor Way, WD6 Manor Way was one of the first new roads to be designed in the Boreham Wood Estate.
Monksmead, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Monkswood Gardens, WD6 Monkswood Gardens is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Newark Green, WD6 Newark Green is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Nicoll Way, WD6 Nicoll Way is an arterial road in the first LCC built in Boreham Wood.
Penscroft Gardens, WD6 Penscroft Gardens is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Powys Court, WD6 Powys Court is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Ripon Way, WD6 Ripon Way was planned as one of the main roads of the Laing Estate.
Rye Close, WD6 Rye Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Stangate Crescent, WD6 Stangate Crescent is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Tempsford Avenue, WD6 Tempsford Avenue gives its name to Tempsford Green, just beside it.
Thornbury Gardens, WD6 Thornbury Gardens runs from Kenilworth Drive to Arundel Drive.
Wansford Park, WD6 Wansford Park is a street in Borehamwood
Warren Grove, WD6 Warren Grove is a road in the WD6 postcode area


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Barnet grass speedway in operation
TUM image id: 1526569186
Print-friendly version of this page