Print-friendly version of this page Golders Green
crossroads was formed when the new Finchley Road
crossed North End Road
in the 1830s.
The name Golders Green
apparently derives from that of a local family, the Goodyers, and was first recorded in 1612. The hamlet of Golders Green
originated as a group of cottages on waste ground on each side of the main road.
In 1754, manorial waste at Golders Green
stretched for some distance on either side of the main road from Hampstead.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Golders Green crossroads pictured before the arrival of the tube station in the early 1900s
London Transport Museum
Golders Green crossroads Golders Green crossroads was formed when the new Finchley Road crossed North End Road in the 1830s. Golders Green, looking south (1905) This photo from the London Transport Collection shows Golders Green crossroads looking south in 1905. While this predates the arrival of the Hampstead Tube (Northern Line) by a couple of years’ land speculation is already taking place. Heruka Buddhist Centre Heruka Kadampa Meditation Centre (KMC) is the main New Kadampa Tradition Buddhist Centre for north & central London. Hodford Farm The Hodford and Cowhouse estate consisted of a compact block of lands stretching from the Hampstead border to a point north of Golders Green station and from Cricklewood to Golders Hill. Corringham Road, NW11 Corringham Road is a manifestation of designer Raymond Unwin’s later ’Georgian’ phase. Rotherwick Road, NW11 Rotherwick Road, like Corringham Road, links Golders Green with Hampstead Garden Suburb.
Golders Green was a rural hamlet at the crossroads of Finchley Road and North End Road until the arrival of the tube in 1907.Golders Green
station was opened by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR, now part of the Northern Line) on 22 June 1907. It was one of the railway's two northern terminals (the other being at Archway) and was also the site of the railway's depot.
Before World War I plans were made to extend the CCE&HR north from Golders Green
to Hendon and Edgware to open up new areas of the Middlesex countryside to development and to create a source of new passengers. The war postponed the construction of the extension and work did not begin until 12 June 1922. The first section of the extension, as far as Hendon Central opened on 19 November 1923.