Douglas Crescent, UB4
Area might date from the first world war period with housing mainly dating from the 1960s
Print-friendly version of this page
Douglas Crescent is a road in the UB4 postcode area
Yeading Yeading was one of the final suburbs to develop in westernmost London. Dove Close, UB4 Dove Close is one of the streets of London in the UB5 postal area. Dunedin Way, UB4 Dunedin Way is one of the streets of London in the UB4 postal area. Hobart Lane, UB4 Hobart Lane is one of the streets of London in the UB4 postal area. Hobart Road, UB4 Hobart Road is one of the streets of London in the UB4 postal area. Jollys Lane, UB4 Jollys Lane is one of the streets of London in the UB4 postal area. Maple Road, UB4 Maple Road is one of the streets of London in the UB4 postal area. Marian Close, UB4 Marian Close is one of the streets of London in the UB4 postal area. Perth Avenue, UB4 Perth Avenue is one of the streets of London in the UB4 postal area. Triandra Way, UB4 Triandra Way is one of the streets of London in the UB4 postal area. Yeading Fork, UB4 Yeading Fork is one of the streets of London in the UB4 postal area.
Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.