Little Paternoster Row was once known as French Alley.
It was a narrow alleyway running north-south from Brushfield Street
to Dorset Street
where it emerged between Nos.35 (Crossingham’s Lodging House) and 36 Dorset Street
. Entry from Brushfield Street
was via a covered archway next to the Oxford Arms public house at No.62.
In 1888, Little Paternoster Row was lined on its west side by a row of tenements and on its east side by Crossingham’s.
Little Paternoster Row was classed as ’black’ (vicious, semi-criminal) in Charles Booth’s 1898 map of London Poverty. The surveyor’s original notebook entries describe it thus:
"2 & 3 storey common lodging houses. Ragged women, children, holey toeless boots; windows dirty patched with brown paper and broken. Prostitutes, thieves and ponces. Buildings owned by the notorious Jack McCarthy of Dorset Street
It was demolished in 1928 along with the north side of Dorset Street
to make way for extensions to Spitalfields Market.