Print-friendly version of this page
Gallants Farm survived until 1936.
At the time of its final demolition by developers Ideal Homesteads, Ltd, Gallants Farm was the nearest working farm to central London. 430 houses were built on the 45 acre site.
One of the provisions of the deal, was to preserve Russell-Lane - also called "Lovers’ Lane" - for the neighbourhood. They promised to build a road behind the existing lane of tall trees, and said that ’from the lane it will not be possible to see the new houses that are to be built’. An official of the company stated that the estate itself will be built on lines which will not offend the susceptibilities of anyone who knows the district as it is to-day.
Beech Avenue, N20 Beech Avenue is one of the streets of London in the N20 postal area. Loring Road, N20 Loring Road was built over Chapel Field - also covered by All Saints’ Church. Myddelton Park, N20 Myddelton Park was built by John Miles before 1882 when he erected All Saints’ Church and vicarage nearby. Oakleigh Road North, N20 Oakleigh Road runs north-west from New Southgate parallel with Friern Barnet Lane to Whetstone High Road. Simmons Close, N20 Simmons Close was named after Sydney Simmons who put up the money for the building of Friary Park.
It is thought that Whetstone was named after the stone used to sharpen knives and other tools, a chunk of which is located on the High Road, on the pavement outside the Griffin pub.
Legend has it that stone was used by soldiers about to fight in the Battle of Barnet.
Whetstone was an important staging post for stagecoaches going north from London. There has been an inn on the site of the present Griffin pub for centuries, though the present building dates from 1928.
When frequently combined with its neighbour, this combined area is the 63rd richest area in the UK (2008) - an acclamation which can be credited to Totteridge Lane, a long road home to many multi-millionaires.